Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Front Brakes

All,

The factory service manual states .030 on the drums (Pg. 5-7). I and many others have gone .060 with no problems.  I personally think if you have to go over .060, replace them. They are not hard to find as the same drums were used for a number of years.  I know of someone who went over .060 and the brakes faded under normal stopping. It felt like the M/cyl was leaking, but it was the drums overheating and the brakes were fading. I can imagine not to many cycles of that and there could be possible cracking of the drums.

Russ Vaughan

Kenneth Wilson <jblken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:                                  Doug.

 I had (two years ago)  6 (1962-300) drums turned (cleaned up) to about
 .065+.

 Years ago, under the impression that .060 was the max. allowable
 oversize,  I had a bunch of front/rear drums that measured over .060 and
 I subsequent tossed them.   A few years later I had obtain more drums
 and took them to the local parts store (again) where about 3 out of 4
 were measured .063- .075 out and they would not turn them.  An other
 shop measured them out and also refused to turn them.  I could not
 find, in my shop and brake manuals, what the allowable max. allowable
 was for the '62 and as you know the tolerance is not cast into the drums
 in 1962.

 I  was told of a parts store who had a independent machine shop owner
 and I should take them to him.   This (one man shop)  mechanic was 85
 years old and said that the early '60s mopar brake drums were machined
 to .090 max. and it wasn't until years later that the drums got thinner
 and .060 became max.  He also measured the drums and they all were
 around .050.  He used another set of drum measuring calipers and got the
 same measurements. I also, myself, used his calipers, and his drum
 measuring tool, and obtain nearly exact measurements that he got. That
 was enough for me to never trust a parts counter person (kid? under 50
 years old ) ability (or any parts store) to use a drum measure
 instrument and get correct measurements  (also puts into question the
 calibration accuracy of the store's drum measuring tools).    The old
 man said he had old spec books showing .090 allowable for the early
 drums (mainly only Mopar) but  I did not have time to wait for him to
 find the book among hundreds of floor to ceiling  dusty manuals - so he
 can show me.  At any rate he had no qualms about turning them over the
 .060 as he has been doing it for 50+ years and that these early 60 's
 have plenty meat left. He also says the state people?  who mandated the
 across the board .060 max. for all brake turning (probably based it on
 the much much newer cars) without regard to the old cars.  By the way
 this old fellow was building old 30's - 50's  Ford (and other) motors
 and valve/haed work for dealers and most all machine shops could not do
 correctly.  He happen to have -what almost all machine shops around here
 no longer have or do- a (old) line boring machine. to line bore? the
 crank journals -also a legendary reputation.

 My .060 drum brakes work fine on my 62 Sport 300.   If You still have a
 concern about the .070 drum bring it on your next trip to San Jose and
 we will look through all my 62 300 brake drums for a match to the .030
 drum (or we can take your drums to the old guy in Santa Clara - if he is
 still there). Better you find and old time machine shop in Sacramento
 who has someone that knows and has turned these Mopar drums to .090".

 Regards   Ken Wilson
 1962 300 Sport and H
 San Jose, Ca.

 2HsandaHeritage@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 >Hi Group, I am rebuilding the front brakes on one of my H's and have two questions. The left front drum has been previously turned to .070" over 12". The service book says that the max allowable is .030". How dangerous is it to still use this drum? The right front drum has not been turned and should be cleaned up at less than .030".  I am planing to use the left drum as is. Will different inside drum diameters cause a problem?  Doug Warrener

 >Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >
 >For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
 >
 >For archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/
 >Yahoo! Groups Links