[Chrysler300] Charging System Problem

I was getting the 57 C ready for Chryslers at Carlisle. While checking around under the hood I could hear a growling noise. I'd been hearing this for the past several weeks (including the trip to the spring meet) but I could never find the source. It's coming from the rear of the generator. The noise keeps pace with the engine/generator speed. A closer look revealed occasional sparks at the base of one brush.  A voltage check says 14.5-15.8 volts at idle/low rpm's at the battery (two different meters). Headlights off or on, no difference. The amp gauge reading has been odd lately (mostly in the middle) but does not show a high charging rate. Usually the gauge is more reactive to accessory use.

A little background-
The generator was rebuilt 3 years ago (non A/C car, no bearing in the generator)
It gets oiled every few months, including today.
My two year old Costco battery was dead this spring and won't hold a charge. It got replaced with new battery and there have been no problems with it.

Today-
The voltage regulator and generator seemed hot for what I thought was a short run.
I replaced the voltage regulator with a tested good unit.
I checked the wiring under the hood twice. None was cut or feels pinched. All connections are clean, tight and secure (including the engine to body ground). There is no junction block on the firewall for this car.

The voltage reading at the battery have dropped a bit after the regulator was changed. 14-15.8 volts (headlights on) and at just a bit over idle (the meters don't agree). The generator still growls and I still see sparks around the brush. More sparks show with the headlights on and a little rpm's.

The growling is certainly not right. Maybe brushes always spark, I never looked before. The surface the brush rests on (commutator?) feels OK. The charging rate seems high. What's the next move, have the generator checked?

Jim Krausmann
Detroit

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: