RE: FOLLOWUP: 300C Hauls A** was: Re: [Chrysler300] Warning to Fand G

RE: FOLLOWUP: 300C Hauls A** was: Re: [Chrysler300] Warning to Fand G owners

My dec 1956 C, plus my two March or April (cannot remember which, but it was 16th and 18th of whatwever month it was), do NOT have the added screw holding top chrome/stainless trim at ends.  All three Cs spent near all their driving days/time in the US, so maybe those Cs with the added screws were perhaps Dealer relaced items that maybe had added screw in recognition of a possible repeat loss/fault.

The pull of wind at speed can be suprising - from say a 23 Dodge Tourer doing just 45 mph with it's tall hood up, to say over 65 mph in a late 50s convert such as a Cadillac (or perhaps a 300C ?!) - where the top will pull up away maybe 5-6 inches from second bow - to my AC Cobra, where at 100mph plus it pulled the stainless windscreen top surround away/up from the glass.  I did quite a few miles at over 100 mph cruise in that car, and the two steel centre flat round head pins that held the hood into that top channel ate into the brass frame that was under the chrome.  Oddly though, the car with/despite around 375bhp did 2 mpg more with the hood up at speed (not that 13 mpg was much better than 11 mpg.  Both in my 58 Caddy, and the Cobra, the tension on the hood fabric became so great, that one was not game to go faster, for fear it tear, especially as semis passing other way provided huge added blast/force.

The wind is a funny force - you only need ride a pushbike into just a mild head or cross wind to see what effect it has on how much harder it is to pedal, even at the low speeds of pushbikes.  And they claim that over a not too high speed, the current Formula 1 race cars could drive upside on say roof of a tunnel, held there by downforce (which in this case then would be 'upforce' ??)

Obviously with 300C - 300Gs, the force of wind on that front edge of roof would be great.
And Chrysler soon dropped that nice looking 300C jutted forward roof edge pretty quick - like by 58 it was 'gone',along with the Carl Keikefer's racing 300s - once the wind loving C300, and 300B gave way to Exner's wind catching 300Cs, so ended 300s glory days at Nascar - even near another 40 cubic inches of 1957 392 hemi over the 300Bs 354 could not make them go faster (enough)  ?!  But then it is that all 300s have different strengths/appeals, that some love others over other??!!

over and out, enough air/wind from me on the topic
Christopher

To: tfm@xxxxxxxxxxxx; moparpjf@xxxxxxx; robkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: c300@xxxxxxxxxxx: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:53:13 -0700Subject: RE: FOLLOWUP: 300C Hauls A** was: Re: [Chrysler300] Warning to Fand G owners

Wild Bunch! Sounds like a low budget 50's movie.-----Original Message-----From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] OnBehalf Of Thomas MillerSent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:44 PMTo: moparpjf@xxxxxxx; rob kern; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Richard OsborneSubject: FOLLOWUP: 300C Hauls A** was: Re: [Chrysler300] Warning to Fand GownersOk,As the other party affiliated with the (Ahhem) "sprited" driving thatstarted this thread, I can tell you that my 300C produced in March of '57does indeed have a screw affixed at either end of its upper windshieldmodling. The molding itself appears to have been stamped to mate with thepan head type screws that are currently there. I'll also report that nothing at all flew off of the car at 125MPH+ <grin>.So, please would all of you F & G owners stay to the right when you see aC, D or E closing in your rear view mirror..... <BIGGER GRIN!>Take care everybody.TFM>>> "rob kern" <robkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 9/24/2007 10:50:15 PM >>>Pete, et al,Very interesting info. regarding the windshield upper molding. Recently(at the Lawton Meet) it was pointed out to me that the upper windshieldstainless molding on my C was perhaps incorrectly mounted since the endswere affixed wirh screws. Was this a modification made by a previous ownerduring restoration without the proper clips? Could this been from thefactory since my C was a late August '57 car and there was a shortage ofclips and this was the factory remedy to just get the car shipped to thedealer? Or could this have been out of necessity after one flying off at anyspeed? An interesting validation car was the '57 DeSoto Adventurer hardtopseen this summer at '57 Heaven in Branson, MO. It had an identicle screwarrangement at the corners of the upper windshield molding that I have! Seeyou in Springfield! ROB KERN----- Original Message ----- From: moparpjf@xxxxxxx To: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx ; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 2:00 PMSubject: Re: [Chrysler300] Warning to F and G ownersIn a message dated 9/24/2007 2:25:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:When I got home, I learned that the noise was from the upper windshield molding. The right side screw had popped out and the trim swung aroundpivoting on the left side screw. It scratched up the roof a little, but at least itdidn't fly off. I think it can be reused.So, I noticed the last couple of times I washed the car that I had to pushthe trim back down, I just didn't pay attention to the true cause.Probably could have avoided another trip to the body shop if I had "listened" tothe car better before this happened.I lost the molding twice on my K - finally realized that as your speed increases, so does the vacuum built up just at the top of the windshield(either that or the wind is getting under the molding). In either event, inaddition to screwing the ends down, I found that a piece of double sided taperunning the length of the molding strip solves the problem once and for all.Pete Fitch************************************** See what's new athttp://www.aol.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]To send a message to this group, send an email to:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list server instructions, go tohttp://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htmFor archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/ Yahoo! Groups Links

NEW jobsjobsjobs.com.au. Find thousands of jobs online now!
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Eau%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fclk%3B114014868%3B17770752%3Bi%3Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ejobsjobsjobs%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=762242361&_r=Hotmail_email_tagline_July07&_m=EXT

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: