RE: [Chrysler300] Re:Chrysler 300s & California Black plates

RE: [Chrysler300] Re:Chrysler 300s & California Black plates

A few comments re: black plates. I've now purchased 4 vehicles from California, two being original black plate cars and two newer vehicles with white / blue. I live in Vancouver and have to admit there is a certain mystique about California cars (new and old). Much more so than Nevada, Arizona, or Oregon cars so it has little to do with dry climate etc.

In the cases of my Black plate cars, I had documentation proving beyond any reasonable doubt the cars had been originally purchased in California and never left. Receipts, bills of sale, old pictures of the car with the plates, etc. and on the first car I was able to get a history from the DMV in San Mateo.

BTW - I have visited the California DMV twice with complex registration problems and in both cases found they were very helpful and went far beyond what I had expected. I gues I was just lucky. The line-ups are another story......

As far as the value, I negotiated the original black plates into the deal on my Dodge Charger. I would have paid up to an addtional $500 for those original plates even though I live in Canada, fortunately I didn't have to. I wanted them not only because they look great on the car but because I believe the car would be a lesser investment without them. My collection of plates is growing......... Ryan Hill

To: rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: dan.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:28:22 -0800Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Re:Chrysler 300s & California Black plates

More on Black Plates...I remember when California went to the black plates and everyone got newplates to put on their cars. As I recall, the State switched thenumber/letter pattern ie;123 SAM to SAM 123. I wish I had kept the old yellow plates because we canuse now use them.A word of Black Plate caution. California is a two plate state (no I'm nota poet) and probably will remain so because they're putting traffic camerasat busy intersections (Another topic?). So if you're going to "invest" inblack plates, make sure that you get both of them because you can't registeryour car in California without both, ..and don't park your "one plate" ofany color California car at LAX because you'll get a ticket.I am restoring an "F" that was in a warehouse since the late '70's. I haveboth black plates and matching title that is inactive for registrationpurposes. I have been cautioned that at some time (unconfirmed), Californiaused the black plate numbering sequence on motorcycles or ? and although Ihave register-matching inactive plates, they won't be usable, if some elsenow has numbers.Regarding Wayne's DMV comments, I don't have to flip a coin to determine ifI' m going to the DMV or the dentist. I drive an extra 10 miles, when theauto club can't help me, to the "friendly" DMV. It seems that the DMVoffices have personalities that match the supervision. Danny W _____ From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] OnBehalf Of Bob JasinskiSent: Friday, November 09, 2007 8:20 AMTo: 'Intl 300'Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Re:Chrysler 300s & California Black platesWayne and all,I agree with with what you posted on California black plate cars up to apoint. My experience, having lived in California since 1978, and looking atmany old cars, is that the plates are most likely original. I'm not talkingabout show cars or restored cars, but the average old car, built between1963 and 1970 that comes up for sale. Cars that are mostly original,needing work or full restoration, with black plates, probably have had themon since they were first registered, especially if the plate is in the samecondition as the car. Now keep in mind that typically a car as described will have additionaldocumentation, such as outdated registration papers in the glove box,insurance cards, and or receipts from service done in California. In otherwords, in doing due diligence when purchasing a car of this type, the blackplate car is a good start, but you have to take it further to determine ifthe car had the plates on it since new, and therefore indicates a trueCalifornia car. Also, the actual condition of the plate will tell a storyon it's own. A perfect black plate on a rough, rusty, eastern car will be adead give away.Bob J_____ From: Chrysler300@ <mailto:Chrysler300%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com[mailto:Chrysler300@ <mailto:Chrysler300%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com]OnBehalf Of Wayne GraefenSent: Friday, November 09, 2007 7:01 AMTo: Intl 300; jpmiklas@choiceonem <mailto:jpmiklas%40choiceonemail.com>ail.comSubject: [Chrysler300] Re:Chrysler 300s & California Black platesI have a tidbit to add to the CA "black plate" mystique. I lived out theresomething like 25 years. Californians would love to continue the idea that"if it has black CA plates on it, then it was ALWAYS a California car". Thatis baloney. The CA Dept. of Motor Vehicles continually changes and tweakstheir laws as if every resident of that state was an absolute criminaltrying to take advantage. Walk into any DMV and try to offer an honest,legitimate explanation of your registration needs or problem and it is likefresh meat to a pack of piranhas. Oh, there is the extremely rare employeewho is not like that, but the system most certainly treated me that way.They have so many laws on the books covering so many circumstances thatthere are at least three ways to get the simplest of things done but theperson on the other side of the counter may not know the law you arereferencing.But I've digressed from the black plate issue. There have been periods oftime as laws came and went during which it was either legal to put looseblack plates onto a car that never had them or there were loop holes theyhad not closed that allowed it to happen. So the continuous CA registrationis a myth. I personally got old black CA plates that had been on my shelffor 20 years or so put onto a car with much more recent but expired CAplates. I took in another black pair and had them put on a car from Arizona.And a DeSoto that had its original black plates in the box in the trunk butthe car had resided in Arkansas for over 30 years was re-registered on thoseold CA black plates.All this to say nothing of collector car dealers both in and out ofCalifornia who can get another couple of thousand dollars for a "Calif.black plate car" just by hanging a swap meet pair of plates onto theirinventory.Are all those old plates valuable? You betcha. Whether they are CA plates oryour home state. I'm in Texas now and at a summer swap meet saw a pair of1940 Texas plates in just restorable condition with a $1000 price tag.Fortunately I had purchased a pair for my Ford a couple years earlier for$85.Wayne [Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: