[Chrysler300] 300s & 61 motor rebuild thoughts/suggestions

[Chrysler300] 300s & 61 motor rebuild thoughts/suggestions

A little while ago there was an auction by major US Auction house where they offered many totally original (but totally derelict/unuseable) cars from I believe a well known early 50s US car collector - a lot of early stuff - like pre 1912 to 1902-1904 cars.

On their website listing/results I noticed two same Cadillacs, both about 1904-6, the unrestored but complete wreck made near as much or perhaps more same six figure $$$s I remember as the restored one, and a total (wreck condition wise) big Oldsmobile Limited (admittedly one of 3 remaining I think) made I think $1. 5 million, the same as a magnificent concours super rare Duesenberg.

Time and time again, the 'just dragged out of a paddock' car made stupendous money versus money for way better rarer, sexier, more desirable cars - and these cars were not driver condition, but wrecks.

So what I am saying is beware restoring a basically factory finish car/300.  I would suggest pull the motor, see if you can get away with rings, bearings, timing chain set, valves if crook, and put it back with minimum painting BECAUSE as someone here has just already warned  - IF YOU START PAINTING/MAKING ONE BIT LOOK NEW - ALL THE OTHER BITS WILL NOW LOOK MONGREL/BAD, and once you then start to do them also, KISS GOODBYE TO MEGA BUCKS$$$$ AND MUCH OF THE TIME YOU SHOULD BE SPENDING DRIVING THE CAR !!??  Fix the smoke cause, but not too much more ?!?

Each year here there is a big 'drive your old car up a hill to a nice picnic spot' Rally - around 1200 cars register for it each year usually, with maybe another 4-600 tag along.  Guess what - the last few years, the cars that attract most looks/time from onlookers - the ones that have not been restored !! An old Whippet with corrugated iron nailed to the wood hood bows is a real favourite - not one inch of painted left on body panels, but o/wise car great condition mechanically, panelwise - but the less visually visible 50s and 60s cars that are original now get lots of people admiring them for the fact they are NOT restored, and way rarer than the so many other restored ones.

Enough from me, Christopher on an early Sun southern aussie am when I should be outside playing 'resto' another car that was not good enough to leave original (sadly for it/me/ and my budget and free time !!)

To: dkshapiro@xxxxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:35:53 -0800Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 61 motor rebuild

--- Original Message ---From: "david shapiro" <dkshapiro@xxxxxxxxxxx>To: <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [Chrysler300] 61 motor rebuild> Question for group, I have a decent running G with 112,000 thousand>miles. the motor smokes some, not a lot but noticable, leaks alittle of everything>and of course looks fairly shabby. the rest of the car looks fine.>Was going to pull the motor and rebuild it, hardened seats, newgakets,>timing chain, ect. ect., paint and reinstall. I have gotten someflack>about this from different sources saying that doing this to anoriginal>motor will detract from "authenticity" and devalue the car. Anytruth to this??>I await the advice from the sages.> Thanks > In a fog of smokeDON'T DO IT!!!!FIRST, all the West Nile laden moskeetoes will thank you for notfoggen them out!This is the first step down a long road to RUIN!!That bright shiny spanken new looking motor will look verystrange in that car.One Day you will think to your self, well that looks so nice, Iguess I'll have to freshen up the engine bay.Then another day will some along and you will find your selfsaying, "Gee that part looks so nice I guess I should dosomething about a fresh coat of paint on the out side.THEN a time will come when from 20 feet you have a pretty sharpcar, and 'Well, I guess I need to clean up and make spiffy theinterior. Ok, Now that you have a pretty sharp looking ride, "it's Time togo to some Shows and start collecting some "Wood".A few years later You will have to get a contractor to add on aroom to your abode, just so that you have a place to display allthe 'souvineer's' of the time you spend in the car show circuit.:-)Honestly, if She's smoken, her time is marked. Granted there areMopars out there a smoken and a runnin for years to come, But itis a good idea to cure the problem now if you are beginning tothink about it. (in My opinion)This will afford you many more miles of driving with a seriouslyreduced worry factor.

Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it! Find it at www.seek.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: