RE: [Chrysler300] 61 motor rebuild, preservation versus restoration

RE: [Chrysler300] 61 motor rebuild, preservation versus restoration

Hi all,

I know this topic of whether or not to restore or not has been flogged to
death over the years but I just wanted to add my 2c worth.

Probably many won't agree with it.

First off it's your car and your decision and whatever makes you happy and
all below is only my opinion etc etc...BUT!

There seems, amongst the Lettercars at least, fewer and fewer original
untouched cars. I can appreciate a correctly or nicely detailed restoration
with mild modifications for safety/driveability reasons especially if it was
a rusty carcass dragged from a farmers paddock. At the same time, to me, an
original factory assembled car is far,far,far, more interesting to look at.
A grubby engine compartment, a tatty interior, the remains of the original
paint, the factory inspection marks, the date coded glass, the dash pad
starting to peel....
I can't quite get my head around the "I rebuilt the engine to give me
confidence to drive it". The factory knew how to assemble these cars, they
built thousands of them. If it's a running driving nice original car I urge
you to consider leaving it alone. If it just needs a freshen up,rings and
bearings, pull it, do it and leave the original paint and half peeled decals
and put it back. I guarantee that as the years go buy, your car will become
one of the most popular stops at car shows and 300 meets. The restorers and
judges will be looking at your car for what color to paint this and that.
The factory never put six layers of paint on the air cleaners and valve
covers that shines like a bald head on a summers day.
If we lose the originals what do we have left to look at. I know some will
be thinking we already know how to correctly restore our cars with tools
like the 300C restoration handbooks etc. Not true, I think even Wayne
Graefen will admit that he is still learning different factory assembly
methods/colors/codes.

I have my firewall up, hit me with everything you've got.

Owen Grigg

300C Original
300C stick 1/2 way through resto...it needed it.
300D ratrod