[Chrysler300] Shift points, 1-4BBL 300-K, 2.76:1 ratio & misc ramblings

[Chrysler300] Shift points, 1-4BBL 300-K, 2.76:1 ratio & misc ramblings

Whe I was in high school in the late '70s, I had a 1964 300-K single four-barrel coupe with the 2.76:1 rearend, according to Gil Cunningham's Chrysler microfiche.  I had what I thought were the best bias-ply tires (that had a 1" whitewall) available at the time, a set of  G78-14 Goodyear Custom Power Cushions.  The car had 97,000 miles on it when purchased, and had scored 810 out of 1000 points at the only 300 Club meet it where it had been judged.

  It would shift from first to second at 48 MPH and chirp the tires.  When going second to third at 78, it would chirp 'em again.  I had the needle wrapped past 120, I figure I was going about 130.  It's amazing those tires naver gave out on me at those speeds.

  For a period of about a month, the shift points changed  - to 53 and 81 MPH respectively, and would still issue the same chirp from the tires. I imagine there was a bit of dirt that caused the changed shift points, I don't know for sure - it changed back to the 48/78 points and stayed the same for the last 10,000 miles I drove the car.

  I don't know how accurate the speedo was, but I know it was reading the same as a buddy's 1980 Camaro Z-28 to about 110, when I'd just barely inch away from him on some backwater paved roads in the Adirondacks - picture those Tennesee roads in any Dukes of Hazzard episode, just switch the participating cars to a 300-K and a Z-28.  He had me on the corners, I had him on the straightaways.

  There was also a '63 Newport in the driveway at home - it had a set of radials on it, and it handled just a bit better than the 300-K - there was definitely more monkey-motion to the suspension, but more stick-to-the-road going on.  When the original 2.76:1 rearend began to howl, I replaced it with another one, a 3.23:1 from a K parts car.  Sure, the fuel consumption went up a little, but it only cost $18-$20 to fill up the tank!  It had lots more zip, but still noticeably slower than the 300-K.

  I used to get tailgaters to back off by purposely hitting the Reverse button to flash the backup lights.

  John Spiers

Ron Allyn Swartley <Archangel1390@xxxxxxx> wrote:

  276 REAR END RATIO

  With a 276 rear end ratio you should be able to wind 1st gear to 55 to 60 MPH. At that speed the shift into second  gear will snap your head a little. Second gear should be able to wind to 85 to 90 and it will shift into high gear even if you still have the second gear button pushed in. Then as you slow down it will downshift into Second gear. Safety feather built in by Chrysler Corp. that most guys don't even know about. When we drag raced we would special order from Chrysler Corp. a special high speed police pursuit governor weight that would hold the transmission in second a little longer for better performance. Then it would still shift in to high gear no matter what button was pushed in. Also-----you can hit the reverse button at any speed above  approximately 20 mph and it will just pop back out and nothing will happen. Don't try this now that the cars are 50 years old but it worked perfectly back when they were new.
  Also, if you go  taller from 8.00 x 14 inch tires to 9.50 x 14 or even 15 inch then your older Mopar will sit higher in the back which will accent the look of the fins and make the car look fresher. ( like new springs) The 2.76 rear ratio would now be about a 2.54 rear which is the highest gear Chrysler made. Your gas mileage will improve but your cornering will suffer a little due to the high  center of gravity in the rear end.

    Ron Swartley

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional