RE: [Chrysler300] Engine Fire! - '65 300 headlight wire plugs needed.

RE: [Chrysler300] Engine Fire! - '65 300 headlight wire plugs needed.

Ray, to be honest it was just plain stupidity. I know better. I'm copying everyone because it seems to be of interest.  After using the gravity feed method of providing fuel to the new edelbrock carb to try and diagnose a fuel delivery problem I realized the needle and seats hadn't done their job and the cylinders filled up with almost a litre of gas. Frustrated, I removed all the plugs and allowed the fuel to pour back out. Without thinking I turned over the engine to pump out the last of the fuel in the cylinders. A few blasts of gas spewed out all over the inner fenders. One of the plug leads must have arched and the whole compartment went into a fireball. Most of it burned out quickly as the fuel source was just residual fuel. A rag caught fire which fell between the rad support and the grill.......burning the wire and connector.....also, the speedo cable, fuel line, and a puddle of gas on top of the upper control arm stayed burning.  The fire extinguisher I grabbed was empty! Not sure what happened there, the last time I inspected it, it was charged. Once there was no fuel left to platter, I put it all out with a hose. I'm usually very careful, I really don't know what I was thinking. Could have lost the house, my irreplaceable classic boat, the '68 Charger, the BMW, not to mention the whole 300 that has yet to see the road after restoration. I was about to just push it out onto the street when I realized the fire could be controlled.

Rather humbling......and embarrassing.Ryan

CC: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: ryan_hillc300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:47:21 -0500Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Engine Fire! - '65 300 headlight wire plugs needed.

Hi Ryan;Glad to see it wasn't very bad.Share with us what caused the fire, might be something for us to look for before it's to late.Ray JonesOn Mar 16, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Ryan Hill wrote:Had a bit of a mishap yesterday and the engine compartment was burned in several places. Fortunately I got the gas fire out before doing major damage. Looks like the front end is coming off again!Anyway, does anyone have or know of a source for the plug (light grey, two prong) on the end of the wiring harness that you plug the headlights into? I have spares of the headlight side but not the other. Other than some blistered paint on the inner fender and grille support, no other real damage.Ryan Hill[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)