RE: [Chrysler300] Engine Fire! - '65 300 headlight wire plugs needed.

RE: [Chrysler300] Engine Fire! - '65 300 headlight wire plugs needed.

Ryan:

Thank you for sharing your oopsy.  We are all capable of doing things like
that.  We often get away with it and sometimes not.  As a natural gas
pipeline manager, I had the opportunity to investigate way too many
incidents, injuries and accidents.  Most involved human error--either by an
operator, technician, designer or work planner.  One incident involved fuel
gas accumulating in an intake manifold that was inadequately purged.
Bang--there goes a turbocharger the size of a Crosley.

One must really retain their cool when things start to go to Hades in a
handbasket.  When I was learning to drive, my father taught me to quickly
turn off the ignition in the event of an accident--to reduce the likelihood
of a spark.  Still a good rule.

Be sure to check the crankcase for any fuel that may have got past the rings
and remember you may not have any cylinder lube when you start the car.  May
want a squirt of oil in each cylinder or at least crank a little while
before connecting the ignition.

All readers need to tuck Ryan's story away for future consideration when
working on your favorite letter car.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber

Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Engine Fire! - '65 300 headlight wire plugs
needed.

Ray, to be honest it was just plain stupidity. I know better. I'm copying
everyone because it seems to be of interest.  After using the gravity feed
method of providing fuel to the new edelbrock carb to try and diagnose a
fuel delivery problem I realized the needle and seats hadn't done their job
and the cylinders filled up with almost a litre of gas. Frustrated, I
removed all the plugs and allowed the fuel to pour back out. Without
thinking I turned over the engine to pump out the last of the fuel in the
cylinders. A few blasts of gas spewed out all over the inner fenders. One of
the plug leads must have arched and the whole compartment went into a
fireball. Most of it burned out quickly as the fuel source was just residual
fuel. A rag caught fire which fell between the rad support and the
grill.......burning the wire and connector.....also, the speedo cable, fuel
line, and a puddle of gas on top of the upper control arm stayed burning.
The fire extinguisher I grabbed was empty! Not sure what happened there, the
last time I inspected it, it was charged. Once there was no fuel left to
platter, I put it all out with a hose. I'm usually very careful, I really
don't know what I was thinking. Could have lost the house, my irreplaceable
classic boat, the '68 Charger, the BMW, not to mention the whole 300 that
has yet to see the road after restoration. I was about to just push it out
onto the street when I realized the fire could be controlled.

Rather humbling......and embarrassing.Ryan

Hi Ryan;Glad to see it wasn't very bad.Share with us what caused the fire,
might be something for us to look for before it's to late.Ray JonesOn Mar
16, 2008, at 2:03 PM,

Ryan Hill wrote:Had a bit of a mishap yesterday and the engine compartment
was burned in several places. Fortunately I got the gas fire out before
doing major damage. Looks like the front end is coming off again!Anyway,
does anyone have or know of a source for the plug (light grey, two prong) on
the end of the wiring harness that you plug the headlights into? I have
spares of the headlight side but not the other. Other than some blistered
paint on the inner fender and grille support, no other real damage.Ryan
Hill[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)