RE: [Chrysler300] 300 fuel consumption conditions ?

RE: [Chrysler300] 300 fuel consumption conditions ?

I do not know where in Australia Jeff has been using his car, but I note the word "cruise" in his post.  Where I am in Adelaide Australia, in summer there are monthly US car cruises that attract 200-300 cars, Harleys, and Hot Rods, and last cruise I went on I took a couple of friends and in the second hour of cruise, we tagged along behind a tunnel rammed twin carb big block Chevy T Bucket rod with traction bars out the rear, so there was no way one would expect even 12 mpg! The best mpg I got from my 392 hemi C was on 2nd half of a 400 mile trip, fairly flat, few towns and about 65-70 mph, on radials - around 20 mpg per aussie 4 and half litres per gallon.

I doubt any 300 in city, suburban stop start driving, with random traffic lights is going to do better than 9-13 mpg?!  And most aussie big Cities have up and down suburbs/roads, which if one sticks one's foot into their 300, will chew even more gas.  Radial tires are often worth an extra mpg or two, especially in country use. So if Jeff is using his car in city, or on a 'cruise', then others in US may say 'that is as good as you get', unless in the country on a trip lightly loaded in good going ??!!
And talking about 'lightly loaded', found out today something many 'non 300s' would maybe not handle well - had to pick up early 70s Pontiac 455 motor of mine from machine shop, and usual El Camino ute still loaded with too large to unload by myself donor body sections, and showers tipped from today, so I thought use my 300C, as likey not all ready.

Wrong - all ready, plus 2nd set of Pontiac Heads etc off another Pontiac ready - so (very carefully) put block crank, heads, in trunk, 2nd set of heads, rods pistons etc on front floor and seat. Despite tank full of gas, the total of near 800+ lbs, total only set the 300 down maybe 2 inches at rear, bit at front too, and boy that hemi still hauled like it was only carting couple of passengers.  455 massive crank weighs around 90lb, heads near 80 lbs each - nearly same weights as hemis - Pontiac V8s from 1957 were real strong street motors,even though way heavier re internals than most others.  Come the late 60s, and Pontiac had similar horsepower (claimed 360 - 390hp) 428-455 engine personal luxo 2 door 4 seat product, such as earlier had been the '50s - early 60s 300s'  - then by 1971, just like happened with Chrysler 300s earlier, it too was all over.  Gas mileage with lightest of these hp Pontiacs such as 69- 70 short wheel base 3800 lb Grand Prixs, was never too good, but the interesting thing from a 300 point of view, is the motor in early 70s 455 form, was basically still identical size/look block, heads externally, basic design wise, as first released in mid 50s, when it nearly (or did by some results then) outperformed the mighty hemi at 1957 Daytona when it only around 350 cubic inch size.  Chrysler meantime first dropped the hemi, went wedge, then later offered both 440 wedge, and the later 426 hemi.  All motors in their high spec forms, be they Chrysler or Pontiac, were (I believe for the money/price) at the pinnacle of their times and street performance.

Christopher in Australia

To: ldmiklas@xxxxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; vjhemi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: jfrancisco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:07:45 -0400Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 300L fuel consumption ?

I have a 61 Newport with factory installed 413 with dual carbs like the 62H and 15" bias tires. On a recent 300 mile trip I drove between 65 and 75 and averaged about 17mpg. I didn't baby the car nor did I spend a lot of time in the second carb. The car is bone stock, completely original, has the 2.93 rear, and about 65,000 miles.Jack Francisco CLU, ChFC, MSFSFinancial AdvisorIntegrated Financial Group, LLC600 Embassy Row, Suite 4006600 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd.Atlanta, GA 30328-1691 jfrancisco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx tel: 770-353-6399fax: 770-353-6338 Securities offered through Securities America, Inc., Member FINRA/SIPC, Advisory services offered through Securities America Advisors, Inc. Integrated Financial Group and Securities America, Inc. are independently owned companies. Trading instructions sent via email will not be honored. Please contact Jack Francisco at (770) 353-6399 or Securities America (800) 747-6111 for all buy sell orders. Please be advised that communications regarding trades in your account are for informational purposes only. You should continue to rely on confirmations and statements received from the custodians of your assets. The text of this communication is confidential and use by any person who is not the intended recipient is prohibited. ----- Original Message ----- From: Miklas To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; Jj Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 10:11 PMSubject: Re: [Chrysler300] 300L fuel consumption ?Best I ever got was 17.4 mpg. I was on the PA Turnpike for 90% of the trip. I didn't go over 65 mph and I kept it in 4th gear as much as possible. That was with 3.23 gears and 75 series 15" tires. That was a while ago; doubt if I could get the same mpg now with todays poor quality gasoline. Around town mileage nowadays is 11 AT BEST!The "3.23s" are getting swapped to" 2.76s" for the trip to Bar Harbor.Jeff Miklas----- Original Message ----- From: "Jj" <vjhemi@xxxxxxxxxxx>To: <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 6:39 PMSubject: [Chrysler300] 300L fuel consumption ?> Hi all, i posted yesterday but it didn't seem to work so i will start> a new thread.> Whats the accepted fuel consumption for a 1965 300L(413 with single> carter 4bbl and stock setup)?> After taking my newly acquired L on a few runs it is improving with> each cruise and becoming more responsive, sounding sweeter, and fun to> drive, but I'm still only getting about 10mpg. This is much better> then my initial 6mpg for the first few runs. I think previous owner> rarely took her out for years or opened up her lungs? I have put only> 98RON fuel in her belly which is the best we can get here in Australia> at $1.70/Litre.> My L had an engine reco about 6 years ago including carby. The vac> advance works fine and timing correct at 10btdc.> Its my first V8 and i didnt expect great fuel efficiency from her but> comparing to fellow club mates in there 383ci big blocks and 360 small> blocks its not as good?> Were the 413's exceptional gas guzzlers or do you think it requires> more attention?> cheers from Oz> Jeff>>> ------------------------------------>> To send a message to this group, send an email to:> Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> For list server instructions, go to > http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm>> For archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/Yahoo! Groups > Links>>>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)