[Chrysler300] 1955 AMA Specs (Last update?)

[Chrysler300] 1955 AMA Specs (Last update?)

I have been able to obtain a copy of the 1955 AMA Chrysler specs with the
2-15-55 updated sheets that added the 1955 Chrysler C-300 on that date.  I
find it interesting to note the similarities and differences in the Windsor,
New Yorker and C-300.  Imperials are not included.  I think they were
considered to be a separate brand at that time.

I had been asking about exhaust and tail pipe diameters and find they are
the same for the '55 NY and C-300. 2" exhaust and 1.8" tailpipe.  It is not
clear as to whether these are OD or ID, but I guess muffler shop guys would
know.  I plan to go with 2" and 1-3/4" if those are the standard nominal
sizes.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has another set of 1955 Chrysler
AMA specs as to whether their set shows any further changes were made to the
specs after 2-15-55 during the year.  I believe the idle speed of the C-300
was changed if nothing else.

Twelve pages of the 1956 AMA specs were published in the most recent Brute
Force magazine and contained modifications into mid-April, 1956, primarily
to add the 355 HP engine with 10.0:1 heads.  1956 exhaust pipes for the
"B's" are shown as 2.25" std, 3.0" optional-probably for the 355's.  "300-B"
tailpipes had swollen to 2" in 1956. With the NY tailpipe now spec'd at
1-3/4".

I recall seeing a photo of the trunk of a '55 or '56 Kiekhaefer car that had
the tail pipes running across the top of the trunk floor and out the rear
panel below the trunk lid.  Those tail pipes looked huge--3" or 4" and the
routing avoided the problem of minimal clearance between the rear axle and
frame and the likelihood of the tail pipe getting damaged or collapsed
during the race and restricting flow.  Probably a NASCAR rule allowed this
as it would also minimize broken off pieces of tailpipes on the track.

The standard 354 hemi 300-B engine had 340 HP with 9.0:1 heads.  The NY also
had the 9.0:1 heads and 280 HP at 600 fewer RPM and a single 4-barrel.  86.5
octane gasoline was specified for all 1956 engines, as compared to 85
(Motor) octane fuel for all engines in 1955.  Anyone know whether that was
regular or premium "Ethyl" fuel at that time?  I think it was regular as I
remember working in a Clark station that sold only one grade of gas-Clark
Super 100 and it was lower octane than major brand "Ethyl", but worked well
in most cars of the mid-late '50's.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 Chrysler C-300 (218.6"L x 60.1"H x 79.1"W, 43'-9" turning
diameter-curb-curb)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: