RE: [Chrysler300] 1955 AMA Specs (Last update?)

RE: [Chrysler300] 1955 AMA Specs (Last update?)

Rich, I certainly believe that the AMA specs would have been updated for the
1955 300 at least once, to add the three speed manual transmission used in
NASCAR starting about April 1.  Then there would have been a NASCAR bulletin
approving the use of the manual trans.  I just returned from NASCAR
archives,
 they don't have alot of that info publically available, so one needs to go
to private
sources.

On a slightly different question, it would be interested to know if the 355
HP heads
had any markings on them that are different than the 340 heads.  My guess is
"NO", but one never can tell.  The part numbers were different of course,
but
no 300B ever came down the assembly line with 355 HP heads because the last
300B was built and shipped before Chrysler dealers were notified that the
optional
heads were available.  An unanswered question is whether the 355 HP heads
were
used in NASCAR, to date no photos have appeared showing a car in actual
competition
with 355HP painted on the hood, a NASCAR requirement after it approved the
use
of the heads.  Photos at ElkHart Lake in August, and Darlington in September
both
show cars with 340HP.  Carl K. could have snuck them in, unless he won with
the
subsequent teardown, so I'm assuming he didn't.  He did sneak in higher
octane gas,
which may have been his thinking with the 355 HP heads.  But perhaps by the
time
they were approved by NASCAR in mid June, someone had gotten onto his trick
with the gas, and he couldn't use it anymore.  He certainly didn't want any
disqualifications,
because Buck Baker was behind Herb Thomas during mid season, until the
infamous
crash at the Shelby fairgrounds.  So if the 355HP heads were used at all,
perhaps it
was after mid September, 1956.

Dan Elliott