Re: [Chrysler300] Pros and cons of silicon brake fluid

Re: [Chrysler300] Pros and cons of silicon brake fluid

  Really nice post.

  Adding only, the boiling point of DOT 4 is higher than DOT 3 which is what drum brake cars use. DOT 4 I consider to be necessary for European, high performance disc brake applications. I really doubt any normal use old Chrysler with drum brakes will ever boil DOT 3. Moisture migration is greater with DOT 4 than with DOT 3.

  The DOT 3 & 4 synthetic fluids I have seen but have no in use information on. As with so many things, the possible non compatibility of old rubber compounds and this stuff would concern me. The published boiling point is once again so high I really wonder why old drum brake cars would need it.

  If you accidently put DOT 4 fluid intended for your BMW in your 300 with DOT 3 in it, that is not a problem. DOT 3 or 4 in a DOT 5 system and there is no idea what that mess might be.

  Maybe there is a member that has seen something about DOT 5.1 in old car applications. That stuff is very high boiling point with lower viscosity, which I find interesting, and has some moisture migration advantages also. It is not silicone; not related to DOT 5 at all.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

  Having almost 20 years experience with using silicon fluid on my C-300 and a
  few Type 1 VW products, some lessons learned can be identified.

  Compared to DOT 3 and 4 the silicon brakes do not seize up, especially disc
  brakes which otherwise frequently get stuck (VW discs which needed freeing
  up every 3 months of standstill with mineral, performed faultlessly for the
  next 10 years with silicon), there is less risk of rust in the cylinders as
  it is not hydroscopic and you will have less fading by hot brake fluid
  (higher boiling point). It does neither attack your paint.

  The downsides are sticking brake light switches (every 12 months on the VWs,
  also frequently on the C-300) rendering the switch either permanently on or
  off, it is actually compressible as John L has recognized (I once bottomed
  the pedal on one VW during panic braking, and there was no air in the
  system), and if you spill any it is really hard to later repaint the spot
  without silicon fish eyes. When introduced, the silicon fluid also gained a
  reputation for destroying old rubber gaskets/cups, so everything renewed is
  recommended. Blending silicon (DOT 5) with mineral fluid creates "porridge",
  so a total clean-out (spirit) is essential before changing back and forth.
  As I have recently learned, the engine runs very poorly (not at all) if you
  get DOT 5 into the intake.

  Bottom line: Unless you are racing, silicon brake fluid is beneficial for
  cars with external brake light switch as Tony Rinaldi recommends. For cars
  with pressurized brake switches, stick to mineral and change it every 2-3
  years to avoid sticking and rust.

  Narve Nordanger

  (out to fix my C-300 brakes this week-end)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)