  From: John Mc Adams
  To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; bookemdano50@xxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 10:03 PM
  Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] I need a turn signal for my 61 G / Check your Bulkhead Connector

  To all:

  I would be willing to bet that this is one of those magical moments that
  periodically happens to all Mopars of this era. If I were Michael, (or his
  mechanic), I would have a very close look at the mysterious "BULKHEAD
  CONNECTOR" on the firewall. This is where all of the electrical circuits
  under the hood pass through the firewall to the under dash area.

  On some years, there are even two large (I think around #10 AWG) wires that
  go from the alternator through the ammeter on the dash and then back to
  charge the battery under the hood. ALL of the current in the battery
  (except the starter circuit) takes this path in order for the ammeter to
  monitor the electrical system. Over the years, the contacts in the bulkhead
  connector get corrosion on them and become a high resistance connection.
  This is sort of like the wiring inside your toaster. You know the wires
  that glow in order to turn the bread into toast.

  When I first heard of this phenomenon common to ALL MOPARS of this era, I
  checked the Bulkhead Connector on my '62 300 "Sport" convertible. I could
  not believe that two of the contacts had gotten so hot that the body of the
  connector had melted so bad that the contacts were no longer being retained
  and just fell out. I had to find an NOS replacement connector and do the
  maintenance procedure that follows.

  The solution is to take all of the wire connectors out of the Bulkhead
  Connector (both mating contacts) and clean and polish them to make them
  electrically conductive. Better yet, if you can find new mating contacts,
  cut the old ones off and crimp the new ones on. Be sure you don't get them
  mixed up and actually cause an electrical short.

  Then, before putting them back into the connector housing, coat them
  liberally with silicone grease and reinsert them back into the connector.
  Pack the housing with silicone grease so that no water can possibly enter.
  The silicone grease keeps any moisture from getting into the contact area as
  well as insulating each circuit inside from all the other circuits.

  I hope everyone in the club that reads this will take a close look inside
  their connector. It is NOT an easy task. If this saves just one of our
  beloved 300's from being consumed by an electrical fire, it will be worth
  it. Just ask Michael if you doubt me. He was lucky it only burned up
  wiring.

  Big John Mc Adams

  (In SoCal)

  (P.S. I suppose this will start an avalanche of e-mails calling me
  paranoid. So be it.)

  (You might also want to look at the following especially the photos:

  http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml )

  _____