RE: [Chrysler300] timing issue 300C

Hi Bill,

It has been many years since I timed my 300C, but I always set it about 5 to
8 degrees advance.
In a letter from E.P.Carr, Car Engineering, Chrysler Corp., Dated April 8,
1958, "The specified engine timing is 4 degrees  B.T.D.C. at sea level. This
timing was established with Auto-Lite extended tip spark Plug (A.G.R. 32).
Because of lower air density at higher altitude timing could be advanced to
8 degrees B.T.D.C. above specific timing (Max 12 degrees ). Spark plug heat
range equivalent to Auto-Lite A.G.R. 32 or colder are a must for high speed
driving with this advance.

Fuel economy at 4,000 feet could be improved by using our Altitude Package
which contains one size leaner metering rods Carter No. 75-1180"

Copies of the above letter were sent to: E.W. Beckman, F. N. Jenkins and R.
M.Rodger.

When this letter was written, our 300C, was in Livingston, Montana where the
original owner lived. The elevation  of Livingston is close to 5,000 feet.
We bought our 300C July 19, 1958 and drove it to Seattle, WA where I lived
at the time.

I have always used the standard AGR 42, which is a hotter plug. My
experience with the colder plug AGR 32 is that they would only last for
3,000 miles before I had to replace them. In the 1950's, I went through 40
of the AGR 32 before the Chrysler Dealer in Seattle advised me to get a
hotter plug. The AGR 32 would leave black smoke out the Exhaust.

Part of your problem with the 4 degrees timing is that your timing marks on
your balancer may be not correct. Over the years the rubber in the balancer
may move.

John & Arlys Chesnutt