  From: RLS [mailto:obiwan10@xxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 11:26 PM
  To: Owen Grigg; 'Dan Elliott'; lettercars@xxxxxxx;
chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; c300@xxxxxxx; christopher beilby
  Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 Sold on eBay

  Again, I suspect that the buyer and his competitive bidder(s) for this car
gave not a wit to the marketing hype submitted by the auction company in the
presentation of this automobile.

  The interest to me in posting the auction results to out listsrv, was that
at least 2 bidders were eagerly bidding to pay some 175,000.00 for a 1955 C
300 sedan.  I suspect but have no evidence to back up my assumption that
this is world record money for ANY Chrysler 300(and likely most  any 1950's
generation automobiles of any American make) that did not have the supposed
theoretical advantage of having a soft top that goes up and goes down on
command.  This could be and early indication that their is a well hidden but
rising interest in these ground breaking cars that have always remained
somewhat in the shadow of the far more common and uninteresting(to some)
Chevy's and Fords.

  Anyone who might believe that these bidders were willing to bid this
amount of money merely because they were taken in by the claim that this car
MAY have been built by Chrysler as a car that was deigned to be a race car
would likely be so dumb as never been able to accumulate the monies to pay
for such a purchase.

  If anyone would like a bit more evidence that this had zero effect on the
price paid, I suggest that you might examine the price paid for the other C
300 that was sold at this same auction.  With auction fees the price of this
number 3 auto came in at close to 150,000.00.  I believe that the Tango red
car sold at the price that it did, not because of marketing hype about a
fanciful racing pedigree(in fact this was never claimed) but because it was
an superb restoration of a C 300, and it would appear that at least two
bidders were smitten enough of the beauty of this car to pay for that and
nothing else.

  The real news is that a 1950's American sedan sold for this kind of dough
(likely in the cool morning of a future dawn, a purchase that will be likely
regretted), not that an auction company describes one of their offerings
with a slight bit of advertising hyperbole(he among us without this sin, is
permitted to cast the first stone). If anyone really has any complaints I
suggest that they be taken up with RM Auctions instead of as platform to
cast aspersion at 300 owners who might wish to modify their cars for their
own personal enjoyment(or possibly safety, replacing the rather miserable
drum brakes with disc brakes, or replacing non Dot tires with radial tires,
or heaven forbid adding seat belts to a car that never came so equipped).

  As an aside, it would likely take less than 5,000.00 to return this car to
its so called factory vin plate status if some future owner should desire to
do so.  So with that knowledge perhaps we can all sleep a bit easier that
we've not seen one of our prized 300's irredeemably lost to posterity.

  Roger Schaaf
  300 B, Calyfornua