Re: [Chrysler300] 300F Engine Troubles

Mark,

Two things spring to mind (what little there is of it).

No. 1, why did you make a compression check?  The noise at idle led
you to check the compression?  How does the engine run both at speed
and at idle?  Excessive smoke on acceleration or deceleration?  Any
known problems?

No. 2, did you run the engine and get it up to operating temperature
with oil circulating before making the compression check?  A cold or
dry engine that has been sitting can give misleading results for a
compression check.

I agree with the idea that a leak down test is in order, but perhaps
a manifold vacuum test might also be in order.

Also, squirting some motor oil into a cylinder after making an
original compression check but just before making a second
compression check can give an indication of rings or valves as a
problem area.  If the compression raises after squirting oil, then
then the problem is probably poor ring seal.

Another thing to check is the amount of blow by when the engine is
running.  A little is normal but large amounts of smoky air coming
from the crankcase indicates problems with pistons or rings (or
cylinder walls, but we don't mention that).

A long screwdriver pressed to the ear, or a mechanic's stethoscope
can be very handy for locating strange noises when stuck against
different parts of the engine.  This might help diagnose the valve
train before you have to pull the valve covers.  Each cylinder's
valve noise in the head should sound pretty much like each other cylinder's.

Here are a couple of basic diagnostic sites.

http://www.auto-facts.org/engine-diagnosis.html

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/at181/181files/Guide%20to%20engine%20diagnosis.doc

Hope this helps,

Bill Huff

>Greetings 300 Club Members:
>
>I did a compression check on my 413 and found two bad cylinders.
>Numbers 5 & 6 (across from each other) are at 55 psi. The others are
>130 - 135 psi. The engine has a strange sound when warm at idle ...
>not a rod bearing ... it's softer than that. All cylinders were at
>130 - 135 psi 8-years ago. Any ideas from the brain truss? Thank you!
>
>Mark Schueller, 300C,F

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: