From: mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx <mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Dual-Point Distributor not Distributing!
To: spiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, October 13, 2008, 8:16 PM

Hi John,
With the dual point system the points open and close sequentially, not simultaneously.  The set that opens first does not break the circuit.  Current still flows through the coil through the other set because they are in parallel.  When the second set opens you will see a small arc between the contacts.
I would have suggested that you bypass all of the wiring circuitry including the ballast resistor, but you indicated you already did that by providing a jumper from the battery to the coil.  The only other thing that comes to my mind is unlikely, but not to be ignored.  Check the quality of the ground within the distributor.  The small wire that connects the breaker plate to the main distributor casting could have broken.  I don't think there is any likelihood of a bad ground between the distributor and the engine block, but don't assume it to be ok.  Paint or rust under the distributor hold down clamp can insulate it.  Oil between the cam gear and the distributor gear can insulate it.  Some of those distributors have a gasket between the block and the distributor and that is an insulator.
Florida Marshall

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: