Re: [Chrysler300] The rest of the story? - 300-K

Re: [Chrysler300] The rest of the story? - 300-K

Hi John,
I had a similar problem to your non starting K awhile back.
It turned out to be one set of the twin points was not doing it's job, due
to not making a good contact.
Gap adjustments, everything else correctly working and all looked fine to
the eye, a good ground strap inside dist and also ground strap from block
to firewall, this worth removing and cleaning.
The distributor though had sat idle many years and all that was required
was cleaning all of the point contact faces to get it going.
I used a fine glass paper to do this, with everything in place.
Also I think it best not to leave a coil connected directly for very long
at all, plus I think less than 1/8 th of a cup is about the most that I
would put down a single carb at any one time or about half of that down
each, if twin carbs. Fuel soaked plugs can also create a non start
situation I've heard, rare but this probably not your problem.
Good to see the 57 fuel tanks are now available, can anyone comment on
receiving one and having it in use without any problem ?
Thanks, Tony in Oz.

> Thanks for asking about the non-starting K  - it's still not starting.
>
> I had connected the + terminal on the battery directly to the + terminal
> on the coil, and sprayed WD-40 throroughly onto the breaker plate &
> points, and re-installed the cap & rotor.
>
> I turned over the engine a few times with the starter, and checked with a
> plug lead for spark - it would spark strong enough to give a jolt for 1-2
> engine revolutions, then stop sparking.  And once, but only once, did the
> engine barely "catch ' - Just to let you know, I'm pouring gas down the
> carb, 1/8 to 1/4 cup each time I try to start the K.  The fuel line is
> connected to a can of fresh gas, not to the 20+ year-old gas in the tank.
>
> I felt the coil - it was burnin'-hot!  When I pulled the high-tension lead
> from it, the oil started slowly oozing out.   I recently took it off a
> running car, so if it's bad now, it happened under the hood of this K.
>
> And so it sets.
>
> John Spiers
> Lake Worth, Florida

<*> Your email settings: