Re: [Chrysler300] The rest of the story? - 300-K

Re: [Chrysler300] The rest of the story? - 300-K

Also John,

As someone else mentioned, you may be flooding the engine.  This is
not a ram engine is it?  Can't keep the ram years straight.  At any
rate, starting fluid is cheap enough at the local discount auto parts
place.  It's an ether type compound, and even if you accidently apply
too much, if you hold the throttle open it should evaporate in a few
minutes.  Also at the store you might be able to pick up an in-line
spark checker.  If so, inserting it into the coil to distributor
secondary path would show if you are getting any reasonable
spark.  Feeling the spark isn't a very good indication of how much
"joos" is coming down the tubes.

Bill Huff

At 10/26/200811:16 PM, John wrote:

>Thanks for asking about the non-starting K  - it's still not starting.
>
>I had connected the + terminal on the battery directly to the +
>terminal on the coil, and sprayed WD-40 throroughly onto the breaker
>plate & points, and re-installed the cap & rotor.
>
>I turned over the engine a few times with the starter, and checked
>with a plug lead for spark - it would spark strong enough to give a
>jolt for 1-2 engine revolutions, then stop sparking.  And once, but
>only once, did the engine barely "catch ' - Just to let you know,
>I'm pouring gas down the carb, 1/8 to 1/4 cup each time I try to
>start the K.  The fuel line is connected to a can of fresh gas, not
>to the 20+ year-old gas in the tank.
>
>I felt the coil - it was burnin'-hot!  When I pulled the
>high-tension lead from it, the oil started slowly oozing out.   I
>recently took it off a running car, so if it's bad now, it happened
>under the hood of this K.
>
>And so it sets.
>
>John Spiers
>Lake Worth, Florida
>
>--- On Sun, 10/26/08, Tim Tomlinson
><<mailto:tomlin%40adams.net>tomlin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>From: Tim Tomlinson <<mailto:tomlin%40adams.net>tomlin@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [Chrysler300] The rest of the story?
>To: "Chrysler 300 club"
><<mailto:Chrysler300%40yahoogroups.com>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 9:24 PM
>
>Group,
>The past couple of weeks there had been postings regarding various
>problems with letter cars. If there has been a solution to any or
>all problems, I have not noticed the solution posted on the site,
>and would like to know as possible future reference. I usually try
>to learn from others rather than have to repeat with something similar myself!
>First one I recall was a dual point distributor that seemed to be
>grounded through the body of the distributor, keeping the car from
>starting (seems it was a 300-K). Any solution yet?
>Next was a seeming reversal of polarity or battery leads in a newly
>finished restoration. Was that isolated and resolved? Do the wipers
>now park in proper location?
>Much thanks. No desire to embarass anyone, just like to learn as best I can.
>Tim Tomlinson
>2X300-K

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional