[Chrysler300] Oil additive email clarification

[Chrysler300] Oil additive email clarification

In my post last night re loss of compression in one of my motors, I mentioned I thought initially this would be caused/resulting from valve recession, and then went on to raise oil additive possible issues.

Following contact from a Member, can I clarify that oil additives are nothing to do with valve recession issues.  Modern fuels less and less contain lead that formerly protected valve seats from recession - ie the valve sinking lower into the head as it's cast iron seat eats away with no former lead that gas had in it to protect it.  It is sensible practice i believe to add a lead replacement to gas used in our 300s, other cars that may not have steel seat inserts.

The only reason I raised the issue of 'what oils are best to use in 300s, other old cars, today', is it suprised me how quickly large engine rebuilding gurus raised the warning of not perhaps using friction modified oils, additives, in rebuilt classic motors, for fear of glazing bores.  And they were not talking about just using a non friction oil in the initial run in period.

As to whether they are right or wrong, I leave that to you/others, but many '300ers', and other clasic car rebuilders, may be putting fresh rebuilt motors in their cars that do not get continuous full load all of the time use - I mean with today's speed laws, how many of us can give their 300, other high performance cars, say a 30min to 2 hour high speed full on workout, that helps ensure glazing of bores is a nowadays non issue?!

Christopher Australia

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: