[Chrysler300] Shipping to Austrailia, other 300 local news?

[Chrysler300] Shipping to Austrailia, other 300 local news?

Long answer and other comment follows, delete if you are busy/bored.

To buy a 40 foot container from Oz end is around $4000 Aus, about $2,700 US, but usually price buying it US end is fair bit cheaper.  And the more you buy, usually cheaper, and if you ship via Japan or possible other suited (to the seller/Container Co) stop over, it will be cheaper again.  Direct takes around 3-4 weeks, if via Japan maybe double.  It can then take another 3-4 weeks to get to the port you booked it for (often by rail, and you not told this sometimes), plus get a booking for Customs/Quarantine to approve unloading, direct what must be cleaned, steamed cleaned, usually on a bonded concrete wash apron.

Needless to say those complaining about the woes/costs of restoring cars, 300s, in the US, just consider say a $20 USPS mailable item on Ebay - with our dollar losing a record 1/3rd to USD last(this) year, it owes us $60 by time mailman hands it to us using cheapest USPS options.

And if it a non USPS item, UPS or other 'extorsionists', will likely demand triple or more USPS rate - plus if it a bigger $$ item, then Customs holds it, and you must get a Clearing Agent, plus pay them a minimum $100 usually, plus Customs Duty !!! So next best option is find a friend who brings in containers, hower/plus!!? - if any friend shipping it for you is not a container a week person, it might be 3 -8 months by time you get it !!

With something like a rim that USPS will not deliver (and annoyingly also USPS won't deliver a featherweight 4 foot long skinny rear of trunk stainless trim, or say a 300C side spear!!?), only real sensible $$$$ way I know is as suggested, find someone who brings cars out in containers, see if they will put in in their load, say in trunk of a car?!

I am inside on a very nice lows 70s sunny New Years Day because I have just eaten too much New Years lunch - outside sits my supercharged 300C frame as I have been unbolting the last of front brake line, shocks, smaller suspension stuff before I do last primer before topcoat day after tomorrow. And I put first coat of underbody tar on unside of body yesterday - body hopefully back on frame next week wed or Thu - panel guy had just made two rear quarters like factory from nothing for a 34 Coupe, reckons two weeks to do/finish 300C whell arches and lower sections.

I have been reading Wayne G's excellent restorers reference/Handbook, and it stuns me reading it, that for the new price of a 300C, that seemingly Chrysler mid 1957 stopped putting any paint/protection on much/any of 300Cs underside suspension - like how penny pinching were they in a country that has so much snow and salt on many US winter roads. The driveshaft and bits front right lower part diff centre of the car are badly pitted, and I thought this would be the result of Daytona Beach sand blasting the paint off at it's brief Feb '57 150mph Beach runs burst. But to then read they often/always had none to begin with on a car dearer than a Cadillac in 1957 still stuns me.

And it then raises another question re Chrysler, and possible penny pinching.  The factory original Gauguin Red paint on the lower firewall that has never obviously seen sunlight is faded to the usual pale weak coral that many Gauguin Red 300Cs are restored to. Yet under where the dual Aircraft Bendix Fuel pumps were bolted (where a 300C battery usually goes) the red is, when I unbolted then for likely first time in just on 52 years, a bright totally different color - like seen in the original 1957 Chrysler 300C ad which features a red 300C with a sailboat behind it.

Previously to get a good sample of 300C Gauguin Red, I have used the painted lower steel tailight housing section that has never seen sun, or inside doors under doortrims, but both still seeming pale.  And yet this paint under the wide fuel pump bracket is just as bright as the original 1957 RM paint chip card, and the 300C sailboat ad.  So it makes me ask, did Chrysler maybe also not specify too a high quality/price original 1957 300C red - reds being most prone to fading if lessor grade red/orange tinters used, and the fact that all 300C engine bay has faded yet it seeing no sun, except the part which has been locked away from sun and air/etc?!!

Those '300Cer's  who have not got an updated version of Wayne's reference could do far worse - I found the/his mentioned dark blue factory assembly paint he talks of sometimes finding on non blue cars, yet on mine it was only on rearest of trunk area, on the boot lock/catch framethingo.  (And here is one thing I think maybe missed - all orig 300C seats had vinyl piping, not leather - am I right or wrong. Vinyl wears better than leather, as leather soon loses it's added matching color, shows the darker brown of orig hide? I've got 3 300C orig seats/facings that are all vinyl piping in same color as leather.)

Against my querying Chysler's maybe 1957 penny pinching, the supercharged 300C still has what looks like it's date correct front shocks - and they still are oiltight and work - the lower bolt in one where it passes through the lower mount/eye, looked as new as if just put in yesterday.  All the front suspension rubbers are aged/perished to buggery on the outside, yet like new behind that - no penny pinching here.  Car only shows about 55K, so maybe that why, but the speedo cable busted just where it exits trans, plus orig front seat sagged badly where driver goes, so who knows if mileage original - I have to get to Fond Du Lac mid 2009 and find out if Ernie Turskey the original owner was badly overweight - if he was, maybe mileage is only first time around.

Better go, sorry to ramble on, but I reckon these old 300s are part of history, 'sort of America late 50s era', like when they/US were 'king of the world', but don't know if that is 'important'.

Happy New year from Australia 2009 - 2009 looking OK so far
Christopher

To: mwl1967@xxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; michaelvanderveen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:19:08 -0800Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] shipping to Austrailia?

Mike; Just off hand, what doe it cost to send a container from the West coast to the land of OZ with or with out a car in it.?? So much a pound or flat rate? how long does it take to make the crossing.. Maybe the club could sponser group tour to the land down under 2009, on the really, really cheap. Just kidding!!! Gary with a big G----- Original Message ----- From: michaelvanderveen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx To: mwl1967@xxxxxxx ; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:56 PMSubject: RE: [Chrysler300] shipping to Austrailia?Hi Mike, does it have the tire on it?if so take it off. I had a 60 new yorker grille sent here for about 80usbut they wouldn't send the F grille no size difference, so i'll be luckyto get it at all being its been containered? so if its smaller than a 60chrysler grille you may have luck,good luck,Mike in Aus.>-- Original Message -->To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>From: mwl1967@xxxxxxx>Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:26:31 EST>Subject: [Chrysler300] shipping to Austrailia?>>>Hi All,> perhaps some club member can share some info... I've sold a>>wheel on ebay that's got to go down under and the post office says it's>too big >and they can't take it. UPS wants $500 and DHL wants $350. Any other ideas?>> >Thanks,>Mike>**************One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail,>Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now. >(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000025)>>>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>----------------------------------------------------------No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.1/1870 - Release Date: 12/31/2008 8:44 AM[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)