Re: [Chrysler300] authenticity re 300s ??!!

Re: [Chrysler300] authenticity re 300s ??!!

Christopher and All:
Perhaps now would be a good time to put a copy of the Judging Guidelines in
this space.  Chris, you will see that some of your questions/assertions are
answered, although, to my knowledge, you have never asked anyone for details of
 our concours procedures.  (Somewhat understandably, as we have not---and
will not in the foreseeable future----have one near you.)  However, if  one is
to comment in this forum, one should be aware of the facts of the subject  as
much as possible.

Our Judging form has evolved over the years into a very comprehensive
document.  Its detail is one reason it takes 2 1/2 "Judge Hours" to  complete a
vehicle.  We try not to miss anything.  With that kind of  time requirement,
concours size is naturally limited.  Judging is strictly  based on how the car came
from the factory, and will be for as long as I have  anything to say about
it.  As our President, George, pointed out in his  recent email, members are
naturally free to do anything they want to their  cars----just don't be expected
to be rewarded in concours.  Thankfully,  most 300 Club, International members
seem to prefer their cars generally as  Mother Chrysler originally intended,
at least by the look of those  that show up at the meets.  Some entity MUST'
however, be responsible  for Chrysler 300 Lettercar Mark authenticity, and that
entity is  us.  We are most fortunate to have the microfilm record of our
lettercars thru the 300K for reference.  (Chrysler Historical has the  300L)

There are several ways to find out information as to what is correct.   One
way that used to be more common in the "good ole days" was to just enter the
car in judging.  I think I appreciated that the most!  Take one's  lumps,
improve the car, and try again.  With professional restos becoming  more the norm,
having one's car judged for info is increasingly rare.  We  have, also, a
number of Model Year Consultants who have agreed to give of their  time and
knowledge to help those with restoration questions.  Probably the  best source of
"right" is the car itself.  Even the most "remuddled" 300  still has many many
original parts.  Then, there is the Club web site,  which contains much good
information on restoration, as well as on those  "improvements" that an owner
might want, but which would be deductible in  concours.   Your point about a
single source of information for  each year is well taken, and the Club is
pursuing that as well.   It must be noted that ANY such document will, of necessity,
still have missing  info.  A vehicle is complicated.  I still remember, way
back when I  was at Chrysler in the non-computer age---a vehicle's "product
description"  required MANY loose leaf volumes!

Well, I have said as much as I want to on this subject, and probably more
than many of you wanted to hear!!  For those interested, below are the
Guidelines for Judges and Entrants.  (Hope they come out ok on the list  server
format.)
300ly, Gil Cunningham

                  CHRYSLER 300 CLUB INTERNATIONAL, INC. CONCOURS D’  ELEGANCE
PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES FOR ENTRANTS AND JUDGES

1.  Only Chrysler 300 letter series cars and the 1970 Hurst 300 are  eligible
for concours competition  and awards.  Rebodied, re-VINed, or  cloned cars
will NOT be judged.  Entered vehicles must be owned by members  of the Chrysler
300 Club International, Inc.

2.  Entrants must complete the requested information at the top of the
judging form and place it under the windshield wiper.  After judging is  completed,
the form will be picked up.

3.  The owner, entrant, or a designated representative must remain  with the
car until judging has been completed.  Judges cannot assume proper  operation
of vehicle components and will deduct points accordingly if no  responsible
person is present when required.

4.  During their inspection, judges are obligated to avoid any  careless
procedures which could result in damage to a valuable   automobile.  In most
cases, the entrant should be asked to operate the  various vehicle accessories.

5.  The burden of proof that any non-authentic appearing items (e.g.  special
paint, unavailable accessories, etc.) were originally on the car from  the
factory rests with the entrant.  If inadequate, or no evidence of  authenticity
can be presented, the appropriate points will be deducted.

6.  Entrants should not engage in unnecessarily lengthy conversation  with
judges.  Restraint in this area will speed the judging and reduce any  semblance
of partiality.  Harassment of the judges will result in  disqualification.

7.  Judges will not be permitted to judge their own car if it is in
competition for any award or seniors qualification.  Every effort will be  made,
however, to assign judges to classes in which their car is not  entered.

8.  First, Second, and Third place awards will be presented in each of  the
six classes, providing a minimum of 600 points is  achieved.    The high point
car in Classes 1-4 and Seniors with a  minimum of 900 points will be awarded a
Best of Show trophy donated by Chrysler  Corporation.  This trophy will be
relinquished at the next Concours or  after one year, to be replaced with a
small permanent award.  “Best of  Show” winners will remain eligible for the same
award at succeeding meets.   All winner’s names will be inscribed on the
traveling trophy.

9.  Cars achieving the combination of 900 or more points and   first place in
their class will be placed in Senior Division where first,  second, and third
place awards will also be presented.  There are no model  year class
distinctions in the Senior Division---all years compete against each  other.  Senior
Division cars will not be permitted to return to Junior  Division.

10.  Any constructive criticism concerning the concours procedure is
appreciated.  Please present comments, in writing, to the Concours  Standards
Committee Chairperson.

11.  Completed judging forms will be retained and become the property  of the
Club.  Copies will be made available to the owner upon request to  the Club
office.

G. A. Cunningham
Concours Standards Committee Chairman
Rev.  6/08

In a message dated 3/14/2009 8:22:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,