[Chrysler300] Authenticity and 300 Judging clarification

[Chrysler300] Authenticity and 300 Judging clarification

Thank you to those who responded to my post wherein I queried how Club Judging of 300s works.  Gil Cunningham posted an Entrants guideline as to how the actual process actually works on the day, and I gather decisions as to what is accepted as to what is correct, is sort of done on a 'combining of the present Judges 300 knowledge' system?!

1) And that was the part of the topic I was trying to get a clearer understanding of - ie is there any list of what is alliowed that is non original?!  Obviously not having original Blue Streak Tyres does not maybe see a deduction.  And from recent comment re original Oriflow Shocks being near non existant, there is no deduction for wrong later shocks?!

And rather than take more space here, for myself and other maybe interested 300 owners, I wondered if there was any current 'hard copy' list of what non original 300 parts allowed?

That was where my question was aimed - is there a list, and should the list include qualification/explanation, as to the fact that certain parts on Judged 300s may, or might be, non correct  (and see explanation for this last bit below) ?!

2) Cheap, way more common, cars than 300s - such as Mustangs and Camaros - are now judged by Clubs responsible for the margues/brands, down  to such detail as every nut and bolt having correct factory issue.

Now if the 300 Club is to be thought as the Club that is the Authority on 300s - and some people may even deliberately enter a 300 in Club Judging to then later sell the car using the fact, sales point, it won some 300 Club Award - then is it maybe good that someone know, record, what key factory nuts/bolts/whatever should be original/correct?!

Example - the rear of the driveshaft in a 300C (and I guess many other 300s with same style tailshaft?!) uses special shanked bolts that go in from front with I believe the spring washer under head of bolt, then with a special longer nut that self locks into the back face - you tighten the bolt/nut not from the usual nut end, but the bolt head end.

This was (I believe) a Chrysler added safety feature, so driveshaft would not come loose?!  George Rhiel may pick me up if I am wrong on this, he likely working on way more 300 driveshafts than me - but all 3 of my 300Cs are like this.

Now that is just one example of why starting some recording of 300C bolts may be worthwhile, never mind it a key part of how all 300s were built, and if common Mustangs and Camaros see it as important, why should our way rarer/better 300s ignore it?!

300 values are high for some cars - eg, a 300F convert likely will be offered at some future mega bucks Auction as say 300 Club Int concours winner, yet may have many totally non factory bits if only judged on mainly cosmetic and most visible things?! Does some future rider need be attached if Judging does not wish to cover many smaller items that were factory on 300s?!

3) Myself and Wayne Graefen.  I do not wish to involve the Club/others in this issue, but some explanation after what just on site is appropriate.

I only raised mention of Wayne Graefen overseeing 300C authenticity because after purchasing his excellent guide (And I said that in my original post), I found there odd items not covered in it. And that is not a criticism.

So thinking if Wayne already knew answer it would be in there, I just first asked on the Club Site was anyone aware of the paint finish on the small frame brake brackets that were not included in the Guide.  No reply from Wayne, but other Members did.  And then later when I sent Wayne a few things I had noticed could be included/investigated in later versions of his Guide - again no reply?!

Wayne also on the site then 'criticised' me I believe, saying I was unhappy re his book (which he has again just repeated I believe), solely seemingly based upon me asking questions on site?!  300 knowledge should always grow, be recorded, not the knowledge supplier castigated?!

And additionally, being aware Wayne had for maybe 10+ years published in his Guide detail re my supercharged 300C that he has ongoing refused to tell me what his source - most basic stuff, like he wrongly says 12 years later the car last known/seen in US, despite it on Club Record in Australia in my name for how many years now?! - I thought it perhaps timely I mention it seemed there some breakdown in Wayne as 300C Club Authority replying to me a 300C owner?!

4) I was not terminating my Membership because of any dispute/difference with the/any supposed person - I thought I made it clear my Membership was coming up due, and I thought it perhaps timely I take a break.  I sometimes spend too much time re this site, have offered my occassional thoughts where I thought it might assist the Club.

Someone asked my qualifications -great thought - qualifications!!!?  - they are destroying Australia!!  Nowadays University Degrees are 'god', pity common sense and life experience count for nothing!!!  Book experts rule here. Huge waste, total lack of common sense, way too common!!

Since my first car at too young to drive, my life has been cars. I have no Mechanics Ticket, but have owned and rebuilt/restored to varying degrees, over 100 cars (sadly). Yesterday my knowledge grew a bit more, I totally went through 6 sidedraft Weber Carbs on my 12 cylinder Lamborghini, after the petrol in it had gone green/caustic from it sitting too long. And one of my first experiences was refitting the transverse rear spring in my 1st car - the most basic of cars perhaps, a 1930 Model A Ford Roadster (anyone who has done a rear spring will know what I am talking about). I started and operated two Motor Museums, been written up in national Magazines, on TV, even back in the 80s as nation's Cadillac King, because I owned/drove so many pre 60s ones. I use my old cars as my daily cars, work on all parts of them. And just so you know I am not just an old car person, I have the letter from President of Ford Australia, where he thanks me for my input that he told me was instrumental in saving Ford Australia's 80 year old Operations, he writing the letter on his leaving to Head Europe, he promoted there because the turnaround so successful, and he then responsible for the small Fords you are now getting in the US.

And so most relevantly re 'who asked am I to talk of 300Cs', so when I am lucky to have 3 300Cs, am working on near all of the parts of them myself, I know when I see something not already recorded/noted in the Club's/Wayne's Reference, that it is maybe worth letting Wayne/Club know.

And for that I get criticised?! Surely the Club does not to first get involved in whose qualification is better, rather just what is being asked/raised?

Please understand I do not wish this matter to go on - I have made the Club aware that perhaps regards only me, that maybe the system seems broken re the Club's 300C expert not seeming to want to take on board freely offered free 300C new found detail? Plus that it might pay him to reply to my query re just what is his basis re his entry re my supercharged car?!  (And he maybe need not be so scathing of modified 300Cs - his Road America Car is hardly your standard unmodified 300C - the fact that it is not a 'standard' 300C is maybe what makes his so unique?!  I have been quite open re it very difficult to re-establish now just what the Factory/Dealer/other did my car, and then Wayne refuses to detail what he says he knows/claims about the supercharged car - is that all a bit double standards?!  Never mind that any 550bhp supercharged new 300C is still not a 'worthless piece of 300C!' just because he says the Factory may or may not have had some part in it being supercharged?!)

Enough - As I have said I feel like I need a break.  All going well I hope to see some of you in US mid year or later.

Sorry this has gone on here, I sorry if it has taken so much of Club Official's time - and that my key point - the more some stuff is written down, be it all individual car histories, Club Judging detail re lists of what non original parts allowed for each 300 models, what Factory Operations/Facilities existed where cars such as Wayne's Road America Car, the 300F specials were built, etc, etc - then the less time in future it will involve all, waste space on this website?!

Christopher Australia

any errors, bits that don't make sense, aplos, it early morning here and I going outside to work on a car!!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)