[Chrysler300] Center Plane Brakes

This message was on another list but might be of interest.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Burton Bouwkamp"

Subject: [Imperial-Club] CENTERPLANE BRAKES

>From 1954 to 1960 I was a product engineer (called "resident engineer") at
the Chrysler Jefferson Plant. During that time Chrysler came out with
centerplane brakes. It was a great concept on paper - the shoe web floated
between two aligning plates and the friction material aligned itself with
the drum on application. I think the merchandizing name was "Total Contact
Brakes".

Center plane brakes worked fine as brakes - but they were noisy! Brake
squeak!!! We tried lots of different linings but it didn't help.
(Although, it did give us an answer for top management. When they asked
why the brakes squeaked on their personal car we answered, "you don't have
the latest lining"). Finally - in desperation - we added raised plateaus
to the backing plate to touch the side of the brake shoe. The idea was for
the shoe/backing plate contact to work like putting your finger on the
side of a vibrating tuning fork. The problem was that in production the
dimensional variations in the brake were so great that on some cars this
fix worked as intended and sometimes it resulted in dimensional
interference that caused shoe returnability problems and/or shoes that
would not align themselves with the brake drum unless something
deflected - obviously compromising the "total contact" concept.

We fought this problem for years - and finally gave up trying to make the
centerplane brake concept work. We decided to join the rest of the
industry in using the "Lockheed" brake design.

Burt Bouwkamp

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: