Re: [Chrysler300] Thanks for the memories...(related question)

Ryan Hill wrote:
> [...]
>

> To: c300@xxxxxxx; robert.blohm@xxxxxxxxxxx; 2HsandaHeritage@xxxxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: lettercars@xxxxxxx
> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 08:44:07 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Thanks for the memories...
>

> Bob and All:
> Yes, thanks for the great explanation.
> I would add that the very rare Chrysler 300F Specials (400HP 4spds) were
> the only other Chrysler products equipped with alternators in 1960.
>
> I kind of prefer a generator myself, and certainly
> prefer the ammeter over the voltmeter. (Maybe that is because I never
> figured out how a voltmeter tells me anything!) I do, however immediately
> understand the meaning of the ammeter needle going to the "discharge" side of
> the gauge. If that happens at night, one better be close to home, or take
> the next exit. Just a couple thoughts on a nice morning here in
> Tallahassee, FL.
> 300ly, Gil C.
>

> In a message dated 4/18/2009 2:19:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> c300@xxxxxxx writes:
>
> Bob:
>
> Thanks for sharing that specialized tidbit of knowledge from your long
> years
> with Exide. This club is fortunate to have so many members who have and are
> willing to share their unique and valuable work experience from the
> earlier
> days of our brutes.
>
> I recall Valiants had alternators in 1960, and I think Chrysler offered
> them
> across the board the next year. I think we rapidly learned to just ignore
> the Ammeter for a while after starting and this led to "idiot lights" that
> didn't require any interpretation.
>
> My 2005 Durango has a Voltmeter as does my '86 Chrysler T&C Shelfpaper
> woody. Computers manage current distribution now and Voltage probably
> tells
> us more than we need to know as to what's happening. In the '50's, it was
> common to have short circuits, a bad battery and/or
> generator/generator-regulator problems, so watching and interpreting the
> ammeter was a necessary skill to know when to have the electrical system
> serviced. Drivers from those days retained a desire for "Ammeters"
> although
> the Ammeter gradually was changed to a Voltmeter to avoid the necessity of
> carrying increasingly high current to and from the instrument panel. I do
> notice that charging/running Voltage does tend to be slightly lower in warm
> weather. I presume this is due to higher underhood temperatures affecting
> diode performance.
>
> C-300'ly,
> Rich Barber
> Brentwood, CA
> 1955 Chrysler C-300 (with a totally undamped instrument panel--fuel gauge
> dances with generator regulator action and/or turn signal flasher operation
> and lights dim at idle--just like the good old days)

I do recall that its more a problem of WHICH alternator you currently
have in your car.
There is a 'thin' alternator and a 'thick' unit, the thin one is the
guilty party almost all the time.
(Yes I had this problem on my 'hot-rod' frankentruck.
Cured for the most part by using the 'thick' unit.
the eye can tell the difference when looking at the laminates
exposed between the front/back of the alternator housing.
only a few, like 5 or 6 or so, laminates, and you have the 'thin' one,
and if my daughter ever returns 'frankentruck' then I can count the
laminates in the current one and give you a clue as to the 'thick' one

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy

<*> Your email settings: