[Chrysler300] Electric Fuel Pump -'63 300

[Chrysler300] Electric Fuel Pump -'63 300

Hi All,

I have a AFB 3256SA on a 383 and I find that after the engine gets hot, is shut off, and then sits for a while, there is some flooding from the carb.  This seems to be seems to be common on most of this vintage Chrysler.  I have replaced the needle/seat and it seems the problem is cured slightly, but not entirely.

When I hold the throttle wide open, crank the engine, it seems to start after a few spins.

Here is the problem- When the engine starts, it runs great at high idle, but after taking my foot off the pedal, the engine stumbles at low idle.  I assume this is due to the mechanical fuel pump trying to fill the bowl in the carb and there may not be sufficient fuel in the carb to allow the engine to idle properly?

After a few minutes of driving, the idle is fine, but once in a while it dies at low idle.
When the engine is cold, there are no problems since the choke is partially on.
At high cruising speeds, there is no problem.

Will an electric fuel pump solve this problem?
If so, what is a good one to buy and how much should I spend to get a decent one?

Lastly, I assume if the electric fuel pump is used, the old mechanical pump remains in the engine, but is it common to remove the push rod?

Thanks,
Mark Lindahl
'63 300 Conv.

<*> Your email settings: