[Chrysler300] Torqueflite question

Hi everyone,

            So  the console shifted trans in my K needed to be resealed and
about a year ago I  had it done. Drove it home parked it and came back to
the car almost a year  later. ( trans shop now long gone ) What apparently
happened is that the drive  cable ( not the park cable ) came out of the U-
shaped holder on the shifter and  the car wasn't in neutral and the end had
kinked a little. I pulled off the  console top, disconnected the cable, reset
it in its mount and was able to push  the cable all the way into the cable
housing and feel all the detents along the  way. I buttoned it all up and
went for a ride and everything shifted  great.

            By  the time I got home and tried to put it into Park it was
stiff, there was  resistance and although I forced it into park ( the trans
locked in park ) the  drive cable had once again forced itself out of the
shifter mount and kinked  again. This time even though I straightened the kink
out of the cable I couldn't  get it to go all the way back into the cable
housing to get the car out of gear.

            I've  never had one of these trans' apart myself and don't know
if the trans shop  didn't adjust the cable correctly and caused damage.
What usually goes bad? Is  there something inside the trans that can get bound
up and cause the cable to  kink ( on the shifter end ) the way it did? And
why when I  straightened it out once and was able to push it back into the
housing was I not  able to get it back a second time?

        I've got an extra cable but  am reluctant to install it if there;s
something inside the trans that's wrong  that will cause damage to the
replacement cable.  I know, hard to determine  from a description but can anyone
give me any idea?  There is no one here  in Phoenix I know that even wants
to work on something like this.   Ugh.

Thanks for any input,
Mike Laiserin
Phoenix, Az