RE: [Chrysler300] -'63 300 fuel/hot engine

RE: [Chrysler300] -'63 300 fuel/hot engine

Heat transfer is a complex technology and always highly dependent on
velocity.  Velocity and flow rate are not the same.  Velocity varies within
the engine for any given fixed flow rate due to the complex passages.  The
big headers on the radiator are designed to have nearly identical flow in
each radiator tube for a given fixed flow rate.

To make you more comfortable with the high velocity/low cooling concept,
think of the hot water pipe from your home water heater to your shower head.
If you can get the flow rate high enough, it won't cool much.  If you just
let a small volume flow (at lower velocity in the pipe) the water
temperature at the faucet will be cooler.  And, it takes longer to get hot
water to the faucet if the pipe is going through a cool space (like the
attic in winter) vs. the time to get hot water in the summer.  That water
pipe is very similar to one tube in a 300 radiator.  If your hot water pipe
had fins on it, much more heat would be transferred to your attic air.

You might also consider what happens when you add a row of tubes to a
radiator.  The total flow rate probably does not change much, but the
velocity is lowered in each tube and allows increased cooling in each tube
and the total flow. The design engineer is charged with making the
compromises to obtain a design level of cooling at all anticipated operating
conditions while keeping costs, weight and parasitic load on the engine from
cooling fans down.  Economics drives these compromises so we see electric
fans and fans with speed varying with air temperature and smaller and
smaller radiators with more energy from the engine being devoted to driving
cooling fans of one type or another.  The radiator on my 120 HP '50 Windsor
was a huge honeycomb design and no doubt had a very conservative design that
enabled it to chug slowly up Pike's Peak without an overheating problem
while V-8 Chebb**s and F**ds had to pull over and let their motors cool down
(Refer to "Maybelline")

A CADILLAC PULLED UP TO 104
BEFORE IT GOT HOT IT WOULD DO NO MORE
IT DONE GOT CLOUDY AND STARTED TO RAIN
I TOOTED MY HORN FOR THE PASSING LANE
A RAIN WATER BLOWING ALL UNDER MY HOOD
I NEW THAT WAS DOING MY MOTOR GOOD

THE WATER COOLED DOWN THE HEAT WENT DOWN
BUT UNDER THE HOOD THE HIGHWAY SOUND
CADILLAC SAT LIKE A TOWING LANE
110 A HALF A MILE AHEAD
CADILLAC LOOK LIKE IT WAS STANDING STILL
I CAUGHT MAYBELLINE AT THE TOP OF THE HILL

A little rain, snow or mist will hit a hot radiator and increase heat
transfer as it evaporates.  Chuck Berry knew that and it enabled him to
catch Maybelline's Caddy with his F**d.  Ingesting a little moisture into a
300's carbs can also be beneficial to combustion.

Cleanliness is next to good design in heat transfer.  A slight buildup of
corrosion or other film on the inside of a radiator or engine water passage
acts as an insulator and can have a huge effect on cooling.  And, antifreeze
breaks down with time.  A small portion of it gets very hot for a short time
around the cylinder walls and heads with localized boiling and high
temperature degradation of the glycol.  You can see some of the greasy black
crud that is oxidized and decomposed glycol in your overflow bottle.
Periodic draining, flushing and antifreeze replacement are good medicine for
our aging fleet of 300's as well as for all IC engines.

I'm not real familiar with the stuff, but there is an additive that changes
the mechanical and thermal properties of the water-glycol mix to achieve
improved heat transfer.

There was a question on the action of 160 degree thermostats vs. 180 degree
thermostats.  I believe they have identical flow areas when open--the only
difference being that the lower temperature T-stat opens sooner.  When the
engine is at desired operating temperature, the t-stat certainly cycles
between full open to full close and no doubt is partially open at times.  A
bypass line is usually present to enable some flow through the pump when the
coolant is cold and below the t-stat operating temp.

Finally:  The parts manual indicates the same radiator was used for all
'55-'56 hemi Chryslers w/o a/c, including the C-300 and 300B and also
DeSotos and Windsors with a/c.  This with a 20% higher horsepower rating for
the 300's over the single four barrel carb NY's & Imp's.  Apparently, the
higher speeds at the highest horsepower operating level forced enough air
through the radiator to hold down temperature during highest speed runs.
Any experience to share regarding operating temperature of C-300's at
100-125 MPH+?

Offered for your consideration, not as a criticism.  Understanding how our
300's percolate is important to extend their life and increase our enjoyment
of them in hot and cold weather.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
1955 Chrysler C-300 (runs cooler at 80 MPH than at 5 MPH--zero MPH is even
worse.  An electric fan and box shroud would probably help alleviate that.)