Re: [Chrysler300] Water Temp and engine bay heat issues

Re: [Chrysler300] Water Temp and engine bay heat issues

I second Dan's comment.  In virtually every issue involving an RB engine (413, 440, etc) running hot, it boils (no pun intended) down to fin spacing of the radiator core.  By now, most cores have been replaced, but most replacement cores out there have low fin density (its all about making money of course), i.e., relatively few fins per inch.  I replaced one of my radiator cores with a new "heavy duty" Modine 4 row, only to have worse heating problems than a plugged up original radiator.  After talking to a good radiator shop, they told me to just go to a 3 row and specify a high efficiency core, and heating issues should go away.  They replaced my core with a high efficiency Craig core and problems went away.
Steve Albu

---- dan300f@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Sometimes the wrong radiator core is installed.  Several years ago,  Big
> John McAdams had heating up problems in his '62 Sport.  I have the same
> engine (413) in my 300F and have never experienced any heating problems, even
> going over the Rockies with the air going full blast.  I counted the number
> of fins per inch in his radiator (16) and the number in my original 300F
> (19)  As I recall, he changed out his radiator to one of 19 fins per inch  and
> helped his problem.
>
> Dan Reitz
> Northridge, CA
> 300F