Re: [Chrysler300] C-300 & 300B Carb questions

Re: [Chrysler300] C-300 & 300B Carb questions

Rich, Bob, and All:
Thanks (I think!) Rich, for bringing this up.  I thought I would look  at
the AMA specs and just be able to write the WCFB 2318S off as a typo or
something.  But noooo, it is very specifically stated, as revised on  2/15/55 to
include the C300: "(a) Front-WCFB 2318S; Rear-WCFB 2317S".  What  can I
say?  At the time of revision, one would  think the reviser  was given two
different numbers, or it seems  like they would have just typed in a single WCFB
number and said something like  "2 required" or "front and rear".  Or would
they?  Obviously we will  never know.  Rich has mentioned he has no
evidence that Carter ever made a  "2318" carb, and neither do I.  Since later data
from Carter themselves,  and Chrysler too, indicate both C300 Carbs were of
the WCFB 2317S species, I  think that is how we should show it in our web
site.

A comment on the 300B carbs.  As Rich states, the Chrysler parts book
shows the 300B using both the C300 Carbs, and also those ordinarily assigned to
it, the WCFB 2444S and 2445S.  In this case, there was a change in the AMA
specs, dated 2/4/56.  I can see something was erased, but cannot tell
what.  This was only a month after the press release announcing the 300B on
January 4th.  My point is, that it might take that long to get a change  into
the AMA specs that actually occurred quite a bit earlier.  We will  never
know for sure that very early 300Bs used C300 carbs unless that completely
unmolested example turns up.

By the way, that press release stated the first public showing of the new
300B would be at the Chicago Auto Show, January 6--15, 1956.

300ly, Gil Cunningham

In a message dated 6/25/2009 6:46:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,