[Chrysler300] C-300 & 300B Carb questions

[Chrysler300] C-300 & 300B Carb questions

Thanks to the creator(s) and publishers of the new information.

Below is the entry for 1955 C-300's from that just-published Letter Car
Carburetor Summary:

Year Carb

1955 Carter WCFB 2318S (front), 2317S (rear)

This posting is a request for information on the 2318S carb.

My C-300 (VIN 3N551198, engine s/n 3NE1098-produced 3/12/55) has its
original engine that has two 2317S carbs, each has its little brass tag
intact with different stampings and punchouts below the clearly stamped
2317S.  The carbs appear identical with the exception that the front carb
has a dashpot attached to the left front carb stud.  Perhaps that was the
original difference???

My 1955 Chrysler Service Manual refers to "Twin Carter WCFB-2317S four
barrel carburetors..."

My 1955-58 Chrysler Passenger Car Parts Manual only shows the 2317S on F&R
'55 C-68-300, also '56 300B C72-300 F&R and '56 DeSoto Adventurer S-24.
Different carb numbers are also shown for the 300B and Adventurer,
suggesting a mid-production year change.  None show a dashpot part number.
Feedback from other owners of C-300's as to presence of a dashpot on the
front carb appreciated.

I have a CD with Carter WCFB data and it shows parts for 2317S, 2444S and
2445S carbs.  No reference to a 2318S.  This on a form dated April, 1955 and
updated Feb. '58 that does not show the dashpot as a Carter part.

I also have a Carter General Bulletin #53 dated June 8, 1955 that states
"The 1955 Chrysler Model C-300 is equipped with two (2) WCFB, Model 2317S,
Carter Carbureters (sic)."

I do recall seeing a reference to a 2318S carb, but cannot dig it out.
Perhaps the AMA spec sheet?  So what is the "rest of the story" on the 2318S
carb?  Anyone ever seen one?  If they exist, how do they differ from the
2317S?  The '56 300B 2314S carb also seems to be a mystery carb as the parts
manual shows early models may have been equipped with 2317S before being
switched to 2444S and 2445S.

I note the only difference between the 1956 300B front and rear carbs (2444S
and 2445S) seems to be a difference in the Primary Metering Rod Jets and
Metering Rod.  That seems a little strange to me, also, since the carbs are
non-progressive.  Any info on reason for different primary jets & rods front
to rear?

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA