To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: schroe99@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:28:53 -0500
Subject: [Chrysler300] 300L - severely rusted brake shoes and brake drums

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Wisecracks and jokes are OK too.

I'm trying to load and transport the 300L I rescued from the woods near where I live. It has sat parked outside for 20 + years. My brother near Toledo has agreed to undertake the restoration. He'll join our Club and I've told him of all the help he'll get from everyone.

I've had all the wheels off, placed a lot of penetrate inside the drum from the back side and hammered on the drums. One front drum of the four is loose. I've tried rocking and jerking the car with my truck but all I can do is skid the car. I haven't used any heat on the drums. The teeth stripped off the one star wheel I tried to turn. I'm going to try one more time in the morning to get them loose but then I need to load the car on the trailer I borrowed and be on my way.

I have some good smooth tin and thought if I place that under the wheels and up the ramps and on the trailer floor and use some soap suds I can skid the car onto the trailer. I would use two come-alongs.

Are there some other tips for loosening these drums or for skidding the car onto the trailer if I don't get them loosened?

Thanks again,

Carlton Schroeder
Eagle River, WI

<*> Your email settings: