[Chrysler300] 300 convertible top troubles

[Chrysler300] 300 convertible top troubles

I need help rejuvenating my H convertible top lift mechanism.

The top has been sluggish for some time.  However, it has been getting
worse and yesterday at a car show it nearly did not go up.

Today I removed the  pump/motor assembly and disassembled  it.  It was
filthy.  The brushes were stuck, the commutator was black  and the armature
cavity was full of debris.  I cleaned it all up, sanded  the armature, freed the
brushes and reassembled it.  I tested the motor  before reinstalling it and
it ran fast and free.

However, when I  reinstalled it the top worked the same.  It will go up but
is very  slow.  The motor seems to pull down and run slowly.  It seems the
pressure is slowing the motor down.  Going down is somewhat better but is
still very sluggish.  My L top goes up and down 5 times faster.

The cylinders do not leak and the mechanism seems to be free, although it
is difficult to tell.  I have owned the car for 30 years and have done
nothing to the top mechanism or the motor assembly.

Anyone have experienced this trouble before?  Do cylinders get sticky  and
provide excessive drag on the mechanism?   Do the pivot points get  dirty
and sticky?   What do you recommend?

I seem to remember someone saying that the current cylinders for the
LeBaron or the Sebring will interchange with the cylinders of the early  300's.
Is this the case?  Any part numbers?

I know someone out there has the answer.  You always have in the  past.
Thanks in advance.

    Rolland  Westra

    Rockford,  IL

<*> Your email settings: