[Chrysler300] 300C Hood underside

The recent discussion of hood undersides on the C300 & 300B reminds me to ask all you folks about achieving a good result for my 300C.  The whole car was painted on the frame in 1981 by a previous owner, and I am just beginning the process of tackling a dressup job under the hood. BTW that old exterior paint job still looks pretty darn good.  But what exists now underhood is some factory paint in halfway respectable condition, some mismatches such as chrome valve covers and AFB carbs, and some overspray from the repaint job - along with, of course, the "just kinda shoot some color on everything in the way of the gun without worrying too much about it" approach taken at the factory.

I want to have this car for fun, and I don't have a desire to do a trailer queen job that should never see the pavement again.  But on the other hand I want to have it look sharp and pretty much correct under the hood at the same time.

Right now the bottom side of the hood has a pad installed, which I believe is a "never" item on a 300C.  And the steel that I can see without removing the pad looks like it's probably a somewhat thin paint coat applied at the factory.

My current plan is to remove the front clip so that we can do a pretty good job of accessing everything.  We can flip the fenders upside down to fix up the wheel wells, etc. and we'll do a real nice job of painting the inner fenders, as well as the radiator support and front pan.  And then we'll do as nice a job as we can on the cowl, the frame forward of the cowl, the engine without removing it, and all the accessories.

But back to the bottom of the hood ----
Should I remove the pad and then paint the entire thing nicely in Gauguin Red?  Or would someone call it a sin to make it look nicer than the factory job?

Thanks for your help.

Keith Boonstra in Holland MI resting from shoveling the snow.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)