Re: [Chrysler300] Hurst transmission

Hi Mike,
 I think you are indeed confusing aftermarket modifications with factory equipment.
As far as I know, the only 440's with external balance were the 6 pack engines, and later cast crank engines.
The transmissions with the 5 clutch direct drum and wide band were 67-71 426 Hemi cars. They probably had the 5.0 lever too. Most others had the 3.8 lever. The converter in the Hurst was likely a 12 inch unit, as an 11 would cause to much slippage with a 323.1 axle ratio. The HP automatics in Dodge and Plymouth with steep gears no doubt had the 11 inch converter.
Unlike the early cast iron TF, the later aluminum 727 has plenty of aftermarket parts to make it into anything you like. I think 5.0 levers and big drums are over kill in our 300's. The 5.0 lever by itself will make for some pretty harsh street driving. With the shift kits available, it's really not necessary.
Don Verity
Rhode Island

  I believe that all Mopars equipped with the 440 HP engines of the '70 &
  '71 varieties probably had the matching 727 trans to go with it. If I remember
  correctly it had an 11" externally balanced converter (to match the
  vibration dampner on the engines with the 6 pack style rods), an additional
  clutch and steel in the front clutch pack with a different arrangements of
  springs and or less springs than a standard unit, and I think a wider kickdown
  band with either a 4.2 or 5.0 ratio lever.

  I may be mixing up some oem details with aftermarket upgrades but hopefully
  someone who's built some of these units can straighten up some of my
  recollections. Perhaps Don Verity?

  Mike Laiserin
  Freezing in Phoenix tonight @ 39 degrees

  In a message dated 12/23/2009 12:36:36 P.M. US Mountain Standard Tim,