[Chrysler300] 58 300 D Lake Tahoe Event

That makes sense.  With anything less than excellent insulation on the plug
wires, routing them under steel plug wire covers could result in a lot of
cross talk, either to another plug wire or to ground.  I note that hemi's
rigged up for dragsters have the plug wires routed through clear air to the
plugs--with spacers to keep the wires apart.

I do like the appearance of what was done to the racing D as the plug wire
covers were retained, thus preventing mud, blood and beer from accumulating
in the spark plug tubes.  I was just wondering it this had become standard
by 1958.

If you ever viewed a running engine in complete darkness, you'd likely see a
lot of external arcing between plug wires and especially around the
distributor cap.  Enough to make you wonder how some of the plugs ever fire
at, and only at, the appropriate time.  This is an easy, free and
informative test you should try periodically, but not in a closed garage.
Having managed large industrial engine maintenance for many years, we found
that engine/ignition analyzers quickly pointed out ignition problems that
were usually easy to fix and significantly helped the engines' balance and
performance.  We would shut off engine room lights at night with multiple
compressor engines running and often be treated to an electric corona light
show.  Very spooky in a natural gas compressor building.

My thoughts on additional pictures of the D were aimed at an
after-restoration photo shoot.  I look forward to seeing the car up close
again some day at a meet.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (Oops, commenced raining, again.  We need it, but the C-300 is
needing a romp.)