Re: [Chrysler300] Freeze out plug

  I do not have a record of the size plugs in our 413 heads but the list I have shows three sizes, 1-21/64, 1-1/4 and 1-3/8". The 1-3/8" I think is correct for the '62 year.

  There are a few material options. Iron is original and I have installed many and have factory installed plugs that are over 45 years old and no problem with any of them.

  I have had problems with copper plugs when trying to get 'a straight shot' has not been possible and they fold up so very easily. Some sizes are available in stainless steel.

  All I have ever set I used Permatex #1 that is 'hard setting'. Real old school, way before me level, technology but it works. 'Right Stuff' is an excellent current level technology for this and a large bucket full of other applications sealing up stuff. Get desperate and J-B Weld is a good product (and for those exhaust studs in heads too BTW).

  Side bar note. There will be that expansion plug (in actuality they are nothing more than production line casting core plug holes) that is in such a difficult location that even the specially designed core plug installers won't work. The best fix I have found is available from Dorman and maybe still NAPA. Their copper Quick Seal plugs expand with a hex nut. Pressure rated at 200 psi. I still set them in permatex #1. The size for the 413 head is not available however.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional