Re: [Chrysler300] Re: Freeze out plug

Hi,

That is sort of news to me.  I haven't had a pre
'67 B/RB engine apart for over 35 years.  In high
school I did overhaul (rings and bearings and
scrape the sludge out of the pan and heads) a
1958 350 from a DeSoto.  I did replace the freeze
plugs and as I recall, we just drove them in like
the regular cupped plugs in the later
engines.  The image sticks with me 'cause it was
my first engine disassembly.  Could there have
been some variances in how the engines were
made?  Maybe I just drove them in to the stepped
area and they stuck in spite of that?

Thanks,

Bill Huff

At 4/12/201004:27 PM, richard_e_osborne wrote:

>Bill,
>
>The older B/RB (as well as Hemi) engines have
>this "step" I believe you are referring to.
>
>The newer B/RB (as well as A and Hemi) engines have the straight thru holes.
>
>Different holes for different plugs.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Richard
>
>--- In
><mailto:Chrysler300%40yahoogroups.com>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
>Bill Huff <czbill@...> wrote:
> >
> > They said those were for stepped freeze plug
> > holes. The B/RB engines just have plain holes,
> > did they still work ok? Do the plugs have a
> > flange to keep them from going in too far?
> >
> > I never had a problem with my RB engines,I use
> > hardening Permatex, but I do dread trying to
> > install the dished plugs in my 392. I have heard
> > a lot of horror stories about them popping out.
> >
> > Bill Huff
> >
> > At 4/12/201009:41 AM, Louis M. Barrie wrote:
> > >

> > >Mark - this happened to me and Big Yellow - over 5 years ago on an early
> > >break in run. I used the milled stainless steel plugs from Hot Heads
> > >Research and Racing:
> > >
> > ><<http://www.hothemiheads.com/main_caps/freez
> e_plugs_stainless.html>http://www.hothemiheads.com/main_caps/freeze_plugs_stainless.html>http://www.hothemiheads.com/main_caps/freeze_plugs_stainless.html
> > ><<http://www.hothemiheads.com/main_caps/freez
> e_plugs_stainless.html>http://www.hothemiheads.com/main_caps/freeze_plugs_stainless.html>
> > >
> > >Never had a problem since - this is a notorious problem with the 413.
> > >
> > >Louis M. Barrie
> > >West Hills, CA
> > >Home of Big Yellow

<*> Your email settings: