Re: [Chrysler300] Freeze Plugs revisited

Re: [Chrysler300] Freeze Plugs revisited

Of course this would not be concourse, nor doable
in chassis, but if the engine is out, why not
bore the plug holes to be able to use the cup
type?  I have had the cup type rust out and seep,
but in my experience not one has ever popped out
of the bore.  I also use Permatex No. 1 when installing them.

Bill Huff

At 5/26/201005:10 PM, Warren Anderson wrote:

>The post regarding core plugs in a 413 really
>puzzles me. Never heard that one and have not seen the problem.
>
>What I learned to do was to drive the correct
>size core plug in straight and seat them in #1
>Permatex. My experience with the copper plugs
>taught me that only if driven in absolutely
>straight would they not collapse ever so
>slightly and leak and even with #1 Permantex.
>Copper plugs are so soft and not forgiving in my
>experiences so I no longer mess with them. With
>proper cooling system maintenence, iron plugs
>provide good service life. I have never tried stainless steel plugs.
>
>There are numerous freeze plug remover/installer
>kits that allow an even, straight in push on
>eBay right now which is the alternate to making
>installers out of bar stock on a lathe in your garage.
>
>There is an expandable brass plug marketed by
>Dorman that is rated at 200 PSI and is what I
>have used successfully for a permanent in
>chassis fix in places where a driver will not be
>useable. I have not tried one to replace a disc
>type plug however. I do not think they will
>replace a disc plug. Rubber plugs might get you
>home, but most likely not, from what I have seen.
>
>Warren Anderson
>Sedona,AZ

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional