RE: [Chrysler300] Quick-Disconnect Battery Cable

RE: [Chrysler300] Quick-Disconnect Battery Cable

The 1955 Chrysler Service Manual indicates the Model C-70 (Crown Imperial)
was still a 12-Volt, positive ground system.  As I recall, one of the
arguments for positive or negative ground was the erosion rate of spark
plugs' center electrode.  Chrysler and Ford finally yielded to the General.
In those days, carbon and lead fouling damaged spark plugs way before
erosion set in.

Novice grease monkeys like me had to be on our toes when we connected
battery chargers or installed new batteries.  On fast charge a lot of
hydrogen and acid mist was generated as we poured the cobs to those
miserable old batteries.  Pops were frequent and battery explosions were not
unknown.  The presence of the acid fumes guaranteed rapid buildup of
corrosion around the battery terminals.  Sears' Diehards were a great
improvement and they had a big share of the battery business when their
improved quality and warranty hit the market.  OEM batteries were typically
good for only one year.  In Des Moines, we even had an outfit that rebuilt
old batteries by installing new guts into old cases.  Our OEM 2005 Durango
battery is nearly six years old and doing fine.  I see it has an insulator
around it, presumably to protect it against underhood heat.  And, the two
6-Volt Trojan deep-cycle batteries in our RV are over 16 years old.  They
are kept charged by a rooftop solar cell.

Interested parties may want to view:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Volta to read up on the man whose
last name is the basis for the word Volt and about early batteries.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 Chrysler C68-300