[Chrysler300] Overheating revisited

Hello all,
Here are some of my thoughts on the subject:
I have seen pictures of engine internal components from an engine that ran
too cold, and pictures of the same components from an engine with the proper
temp thermostat. The "cold" engine had problems, to say the least, and a
much shorter life span. There is an optimum temp for each engine to run, and
usually it is pretty hot! My wife had a Pontiac once, with an aluminum head,
that had a 240 degree thermostat! You might say, "Wait a minute. Water boils
at 212 degrees". But, we don't use water. Antifreeze is also called
"antiboil". I had to ask this question: If I am running at 240 degrees, and
the electric cooling fan fails, how many SECONDS do I have until that engine
is ruined?
I remember hearing, (many years ago), someone say that when a thermostat is
removed, the following can happen: When drifitng down a mountain, there is
low RPM and little circulation of coolant, and the radiator is really
getting, and staying, cool. Then at the bottom of the grade, when you
accelerate, there is a rush of cold fluid into a hot engine.
I am going to assume that there are indeed temperature fluctuations when
there is no thermostat, or one that is opening pematurely.
What are your thoughts?

Troy McKenzie
K Koop

<*> Your email settings: