Re: [Chrysler300] G brakes 'jerking' to right

Re: [Chrysler300] G brakes 'jerking' to right

Same problem with my "K". Touching the brakes
caused a definite pull to the left.
Replaced the Right Front brake cylinder and
checked everything out to correct the problem.
Found the cylinder readily available locally, but
did require some help to remove the hose fitting
from the top of the cylinder. It was kind of
tight after 46 years. It now brakes like new.
Good luck in your search for the answer.

John Holst, 300K, Iowa

At 09:43 AM 8/5/2010, Ron Waters wrote:

>Resending this, as the 300 Listserver initially rejected it, for some
>reason.
>
> > Hi Brandt -
> >
> > Glad to hear that your G is back on the road.
> >
> > Regarding the brakes, you realize the if the car pulls to the right, then
> > your problem is with the LEFT brake assembly. Since brakes are probably
> > the most important system on the car, you should NOT drive the G until
> > this is resolved. Is this a problem that developed all of a sudden, or is
> > this the first time the car has been driven in a while ? Also, is the
> > vibration/shimmering coming from the front or rear ? That will point you
> > in the direction of where the problem is.
> >
> > Here's what I'd do:
> >
> > After dismounting the tire/wheel, back off the hex-head adjusters behind
> > the support plate, then pull the left drum and look for any problems
> > (broken spring, out of alignment shoe, etc.). Compare the appearance to
> > what is in the shop manual. Look at the shoes to see if they're worn down.
> > You may want to spray everything down with CRC Brake Cleaner if there's a
> > lot of 'brake dust'. Also inspect the brake hose. If it's got cracks in
> > the rubber, it may be suspect. If nothing appears to be wrong, put the
> > drum back on. Remount the tire, then set the hex-head adjusters correctly
> > as outlined in the shop manual until you hear/feel slight brake drag when
> > spinning the wheel. Take the car for a short drive and test the brakes. If
> > the problem persists, I would suspect the brake hose and replace it.
> >
> > Good Luck.
> >
> > Ron

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional