RE: [Chrysler300] G brakes 'jerking' to right

RE: [Chrysler300] G brakes 'jerking' to right

Brandt and all,

You definitely have a brake problem.  Most likely you will find a failed
wheel cylinder, indicated by leakage, or another failed component.  How long
has it been since the brakes were gone through?  How often do you bleed the
brake system?  Pull the front drums and have a good look to see what is
happening, you will probably find fluid leakage caused by corrosion in the
wheel cylinder.  If there is no leakage then maybe a broken spring or bad
hose that has become internally restrictive.  If you have a failure in the
hydraulic circuit (wheel cylinders, hoses), you should go through the whole
system.  I would replace or resleeve all the wheel cylinders, the master
cylinder, install new hoses (3) and flush the entire system.  I use DOT 5
silicone fluid in my 300G and have for 30 years, but others will recommend
DOT 4 fluid (I'm sure this will start debate).  I find that using DOT 5
fluid, I can easily go 5 years between brake bleeds and maintain brake fluid
quality and safety.  This is especially true if you have your master and
wheel cylinders resleeved with stainless, brass or bronze.  Plain steel is
OK too, but you must bleed the system more often, especially if you use DOT
3 or 4 fluid, because they are hygroscopic, that is, they absorb moisture
and can only absorb so much before corrosion sets in.

If your shoes are not excessively worn, you may be able to reuse them
without problem if you clean any soaked in fluid off with a good brake
cleaner or alcohol.  You may have a drum problem, so you may need to get
your drums measured for wear at a shop that has a micrometer designed for
measuring drum wear.  .060 wear or more and the drum is toast.  Again, if
you have plenty of shoe left, and the brake drum looks OK, you may be able
to return the system to safe service by replacing the hydraulic components.
Good used drums are hard to find, that's why many have gone to disc brake
conversions.

As a side note on silicone fluid, when I rebuilt my brake system on my G in
1978, I put in all new brake components including wheel cylinders, hoses and
new master cylinder.  I flushed the old fluid out and went with DOT 5
silicone fluid.  Thinking I would not need to again flush the fluid because
it was silicone, and wanting to perform a "test" I suppose, I  went 18
years, to 1996, before I began to experience the same failure, pulling to
one side.  I pulled the drum and found leakage in the lower front wheel
cylinder, left side, disassembled it and found water had settled over time
in the lowest spot causing the corrosion.  So in 1996 I rebuilt the system
as related above, and have bled the system twice since then, the first in
2005, and just this last week end.  In 2005 the fluid did show some signs of
contamination and moisture, but this past weekend the old fluid showed some
discoloration but no signs of moisture, that's why I say 5 years is a pretty
good period for DOT 5 to be flushed and still maintain safety.

Bob J

300G Convert owner since January 1978