Re: [Chrysler300] What side is the timeing, Mr. Bear?

Re: [Chrysler300] What side is the timeing, Mr. Bear?

Hi Larry:
I found your question intriguing, so spent a few minutes with my service
manuals.  As you said, the picture of the timing operation certainly shows
the timing pointer on the left side of the engine.  Even other  pictures,
dated 1955, show the pointer there.  Then I checked my 1957  manual.  The
timing pointer is on the right (passenger) side.  This  photo is dated 1957.  I
am guessing the change was made because the power  steering pump moved from
behind the generator to the spot on the left side of  the engine where it
would obstruct the timing light.
Now, the question is, does the '55 Imp you are working on have a 392 in it,
 or just a timing cover from one? (Providing one will fit---I certainly
don't  know if it will or not.)
Hope this helps a little.
300ly, Gil Cunningham

In a message dated 11/29/2010 8:31:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,