From: "Steve Albu" <saforwardlook@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 2HsandaHeritage@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Chrysler 300 Club International" <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:22:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 413 stuttering

A couple things to look for Doug.
Usually a stutter as you are describing is due to a non-existant accelerator
pump shot of fuel or at least a weak one.  With the engine off, and the air
cleaner off, look down into the throat of the carburetor while moving the
throttle and look for two squirts of fuel.  This will tell you how strong
the pump shot is under varying rates of throttle opening.  Hopefully the
rebuilder put in a new pump plunger with a good leather seal on it.  You
might want to check the adjustment of the pump shot arm to make sure you are
getting the maximum stroke as well.  There are three choices of holes to
place the link into.  Also, be sure that there is a check ball (it could be
a check rod too, rather than a ball)  below the pump squirters, as a missing
check ball or will result in little if any pump shot.
One other reality today is that with ethanol in the fuel, if the car sits
long periods of time between driving events, it may be that the check ball
is stuck since after several cycles of heating/cooling with ethanol laced
fuel (even 10%), a gummy residue will build up and the check will not move,
resulting in no pump shot and difficulty starting the car without putting
fuel directly into the intake manifold.  The only way to remedy this is to
put carburetor cleaner into the check ball area to free it up.  This
involves removing the top of the carburetor each time, which is a pain.
Ethanol laced gasoline is an annoying problem for our older cars.  Maybe
someone has found a gasoline additive that minimizes the gum build up, but I
am not aware of one that works yet.
Steve Albu

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 10:03 AM, <2HsandaHeritage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> **
>

> Hi Group,
>

>  My 62 Sport has a 413 with a single Carter AFB.
>
> The Carter AFB has recently been rebuilt.
>
> When starting from a dead stop the engine "stutters" for a few seconds and
> then performs like new.
>
> I had the same problem prior to having the AFB rebuilt.
>
> If I "hit the gas" harder at start up there is no "stutter" and the
> "stutter" seems to get slightly worse when the engine reaches operating
> temperature.
>
> The automatic choke appears to be operating correctly.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Doug Warrener
>
> Fair Oaks, CA

<*> Your email settings: