Re: [Chrysler300] Left Handed Lug Nuts?

This article shows the testing that was done, and the conclusive results
that show accidentally loose lug nuts on the left side of the will
tighten a bit with the wheel rotation.  But it doesn't really explain -
other than some passing references to "inertia" - just why this actually
works.  I sorted it out one time, and it's actually a pretty cool thing
the way it happens.

If the lug nuts were REALLY loose they probably wouldn't tighten
themselves up with wheel rotation.  But you'll notice in the referenced
testing that the nuts were "hand tight", giving them at least some
minimal contact with the edges of the lug holes in the wheel.  It turns
out that less-than-perfect contact is what tightens the lug nut as the
wheel rolls.

Here's a fun experiment to show you how this works.  It's easier to do
it than to describe it, but I'll do my best.  Screw a normal light bulb
in a socket until it's nearly snugged up, but not tight (just like the
lug nuts in the test).  Then with the minute amount of looseness helping
you, swing the bulb in a clockwise direction - but don't turn it.
You'll find that as you swing it around the bulb will actually try to
turn itself out of the socket counterclockwise.  And that's because the
contact between the bulb base and the socket will create a "walking"
effect.  Likewise swinging the bulb in a counterclockwise direction will
drive the bulb tighter into the socket.  It's a neat trick to use if you
ever encounter a bulb, such as in one of those ceiling cans, that has
somewhat corroded itself into place.  swing it around clockwise and
you'll work it out of the socket without breaking the bulb out of the base.

And that's the effect at play with the left hand threaded lug nuts on
the drivers side.  A smart move to compensate for slightly loose nuts,
but it doesn't help at all if the nuts are tight in the wheel holes -
they can't "walk".

Keith Boonstra

-

On 7/28/2011 4:11 PM, Bob Jasinski wrote:

> Here is a good read on the LHT subject:
>
> http://www.moparmax.com/columns/magnante/v_5-1.html
>
> Bob J
>
> From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx