Re: Fw: [Chrysler300] Rear End 300F-fUN WITH NUMBERS

Re: Fw: [Chrysler300] Rear End 300F-fUN WITH NUMBERS

Top Gear always 1:1 until Overdrives of the 80's or there about.

2300 RPM at 60 sounds about right - say 4600 RPM at 120 MPH typical Top
End and most of the cars of that day ran out of HP before they ran out
of RPM in Top Gear.

And if you stepped down hard on an Automatic, it down shifted into
"Passing Gear" and it stayed there at higher RPM till about 90 if you
kept your foot down. - probably in the 3xxx range at 50 MPH and close to
5000 RPM at 90 before it shifted back to top gear.

If you are turning a real 3000 RPM at 60 MPH, that sounds like an
unusually high numerical ratio - probably would put engine at 5000 RPM
at 100 MPH. Don't really think that would be right from early 60's -
don't know about 50's.

On 8/28/2011 10:16 AM, The Richardson Family wrote:

> The math seems to make sense but, that's assuming the final drive
> through the transmission is a 1:1 ratio. I don't think that's right,
> is it?
>
> On a limited slip - turn the drive shaft 1 complete rotation and count
> the revolutions of the wheel - that should give you the correct rear
> end ratio - or is it the other way around? I don't recall exactly but,
> I do remember getting 3.55:1 on my "Letter L", which is the pumpkin
> that was installed by my Stepfather. That's as much as I can
> contribute to confuse things.....
>
> Dan Richardson
> 300L Family Heirloom

<*> Your email settings: