Re: [Chrysler300] Rear End 300F-fUN WITH NUMBERS

Re: [Chrysler300] Rear End 300F-fUN WITH NUMBERS

I don't know about other areas, but in the late
50's onward there were literally thousands of
miles of straight, uncrowded roads in Texas,
Arizona, NM, etc.  I spent  hours on end doing
70, 80, even 90 mph in semi trucks on those
highways, before the interstate system came
along.  They weren't superhighways but they also
were quite straight and not very crowded.

In those days I drove some older cars, many of
them had overdrive behind the 3 speed standard
and would cruise comfortably at 65-70 mph.  Those
cars probably had rear end ratios in the high
3's.  My 58 DeSoto with 350 engine would cruise
easily at 70 mph.  My Dad's 59 Ford wagon with
292 engine would reach 95 mph in second gear and
was very comfortable at 70 mph.  All those are
indicated of course, no telling what actual speed
was but it was all we had to go by.  I think it
was HP that allowed the lower gear ratios rather
than the highways.  A V-8 with more torque and HP
could still accelerate faster with a lower ratio
than an older inline car with a higher gear
ratio, and could cruise at a comfortable RPM as well.

Bill Huff

At 8/28/201111:05 AM, retromobilia@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>In my recollection, over the years, most all
>brands of american cars had a three speed trans.
>(auto and standard) and had a 1:1, 3rd speed
>ratio (pre 4 spd overdrive automatics). And at
>60 MPH they were all turning around 3000RPM (all brands and models).
>
>Keep in mind that the super highway system was
>still mostly a dream in 1960. It was very
>difficult on US hiways to drive more than 60 for
>any consistent period of time. (2 way roads with
>trucks doing 45 - 55 mph were the norm). One
>needed the mid range power for passing and it
>was only for very short distances that one could drive over 60 MPH.
>
>In concept, the diff. ratios in the area below
>3.00:1 (such as 2.70:1) were for city traffic
>such as taxi and limos. It was later when Gas
>became scarce and prices shot up and long hiway
>interstate drives were designed for 70MPH and
>Over-Drive slushboxes became the norm that many
>people were looking for a way to make long legs
>out of a car with a, red line RPM, at 4300 to
>4800. Anything with 3.90 to 4.11 was considered
>to be for drag-racing or (by manufactures for mountain use). John

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)