From: "LabLoverDC@xxxxxxx" <LabLoverDC@xxxxxxx>
To: wranderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, October 4, 2011 7:46:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 1961 Weight

I strongly second Rich's advice re going with the 5000# + axles (often they
seem to be 5200#'s).  We made the mistake on our enclosed car hauler of
sticking with the standard 3500# axles, which actually limits the hauling
capacity of the trailer to around 3500 pounds (since the trailer itself weighs
about 3500#).  We have torsion bar suspension, which seems to carry the
weight well enough, but our biggest problem is tires.  It is hard to get
tires with enough weight-carrying capacity to fit on the wheel/axle combination
we have, and we frequently have blowouts.

It has gotten so bad that we're probably either going to change out  our
axles, or buy a new trailer.

Re the weight distributing hitch (which we have), it has always been my
understanding that it redistributes the tongue weight more evenly throughout
the  tow vehicle (so it's not all sitting right on the tongue, and makes the
vehicle  ride more level), but it doesn't have any effect on the weight
carrying capacity  of the trailer as far as I know.  I could be wrong--that's
just what I've  always believed to be the case.  We've also found an anti-sway
bar to be a  very worthwhile addition too.

Shannon Steele

n a message dated 10/3/2011 6:23:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,